Thread: Big band repertoire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Big band repertoire

Can anyone recommend a good source(s) for 30's - 40's big band repertoire for TC euphonium? Primarily solo melody. I'm finding some in the fake books, but would like something more comprehensive if available. And I suppose I could use trumpet parts.

I usually buy mine from this source:

Music Notes

They have some nice charts, better than I find elsewhere, although they are pretty straight. Many of the pieces I've recorded for YouTube are from these charts. Music Notes has nice flexibility for transposition for most charts and they also let me download the PDF, which I greatly appreciate.

Here is a Glenn Miller chart we did, which you can find on my YT channel:

I Know Why (and So Do You)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good source(s) for 30's - 40's big band repertoire for TC euphonium? Primarily solo melody. I'm finding some in the fake books, but would like something more comprehensive if available. And I suppose I could use trumpet parts.
    You may want to ask Dave Bandman. he is a jazz god!

http://davidbandmanmusic.com/

Mike

Thnx, very helpful.

A related question... maybe one of those unanswerable questions, except perhaps on a case by case basis, but what are the chances of a euphonium player playing in a community-based jazz band, perhaps taking a trombone part, or maybe even the bass part in some cases?

I have the impression that a lot of jazz bands are purists when it comes to instrumentation. Some of them don't even include clarinets, despite the long history of clarinet in jazz bands.

6. In my experience, jazz trombone players are quite difficult to find. I've been playing that part for years on a variety of horns. I am now using a marching baritone. Larger bell means mutes can be difficult. But you can fashion your own. True that these bands have been my bands. So they are not going to throw me out. But still, a pleasing sound in the middle to low range goes very far.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Tenor sax parts are in B flat treble clef and would be a good source for this. I have played a little big band jazz, reading tenor sax parts in an all brass group. Lots of melody, but range and technical demands, primarily fast arpeggios, made this a challenge.