Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Besson Prestige (Gold Lacquer) review/experience

Oberloh fabbed a floating leadpipe on my NS. Made a noticeable sonic difference.

DG

Hi Micah,

I'm still playing the horn. I had a trusted friend do a blind test listening to me playing, and he had the following preferences:

1) Gold Lacquer Prestige
    2) Adams E3
    3) Geneva Cardinal
    4) Willson 2960

This was in my living room, but I've got 14' vaulted ceilings, so it's a large enough room to not sound "small".

One additional thing he noticed when we were looking at his 2052 vs this one was the 3rd valve tubing is attached to the main bow closer than on the 2052; this makes for an easier 4th valve reach, which is very nice.

I'm still breaking the valves in, so they're not quite as fast as his 2052 that's about a decade old.

This horn really does sound great. We noticed that in comparison with his 2052, the gold lacquer horn feels more resonant, and free blowing. The sound is more "complex" to my ear, probably having to do with upper harmonic content. Subjectively, you might say it's got more "bloom" than the standard 2052.

It's absolutely the finest example of a prestige I've played.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah.Dominic.Parsons View Post
    Hello Mike,

I was wondering if you had any update for us on the new Gold Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium?

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

3. Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    One additional thing he noticed when we were looking at his 2052 vs this one was the 3rd valve tubing is attached to the main bow closer than on the 2052; this makes for an easier 4th valve reach, which is very nice.
    Mike,

The change to the 3rd valve wrap to move it closer to the outer bow is not unique to the new Gold Lacquer horn, but was made sometime around 2012 to all Sovereign/Prestige models. What I had heard was that this was done for the Asian marketplace where average hand size is smaller. This makes that left hand grip on new Besson's similar to that on the Yamaha 642/842 horns.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

I ask a stupid question: what would happen if I eliminated the jumper that connects the leadpipe to the bell of my 2052? would I get an improvement in resonance like in the gold lacquered model or would I do some damage?
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

5. Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    I ask a stupid question: what would happen if I eliminated the jumper that connects the leadpipe to the bell of my 2052? would I get an improvement in resonance like in the gold lacquered model or would I do some damage?
    Franz,

I am not totally sure it is as simple as that. I did the reverse on a 2001 Sovereign (which has a full floating leadpipe). I didn't like the wrap of the Soverreign leadpipe (late British model) and the horn's response was not even throughout the range. It was very easy to overblow the 1st partial. I transplanted a York Eminence leadpipe and receiver (similar to Prestige) and added a mid-brace, thus making the horn essentially similar to a Prestige. The response evened out and I liked the way the horn played much better than with the original leadpipe. The issue is I am not sure how much of the effect was due to the leadpipe and how much was due to the mid-brace. On the new Gold Lacquer horns, while the mid-brace is removed, I am not totally clear on whether the leadpipe of the horn is the same as a regular Prestige. If it is also changed, then merely removing the mid-brace may not be the solution.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thanks for the correction, Doug!

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    Mike,

The change to the 3rd valve wrap to move it closer to the outer bow is not unique to the new Gold Lacquer horn, but was made sometime around 2012 to all Sovereign/Prestige models. What I had heard was that this was done for the Asian marketplace where average hand size is smaller. This makes that left hand grip on new Besson's similar to that on the Yamaha 642/842 horns.

Doug
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

I wouldn’t do something like that. Like Doug said, you never know what other design considerations there were in changing the lead pipe.

Also, it’s just one man’s opinion. You may disagree with my playing assessment!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post

8. Hello Mike,

It is really good to hear about your new Gold Lacquered Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium. I was wondering if you had recorded a video of you playing it yet? I am eager to hear you playing your new instrument!

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

I haven’t, but I’ll try to get to that maybe over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah.Dominic.Parsons View Post
    Hello Mike,

It is really good to hear about your new Gold Lacquered Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium. I was wondering if you had recorded a video of you playing it yet? I am eager to hear you playing your new instrument!

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

10. Hello Mike,

I cannot wait to hear you playing your new Gold Lacquered Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast