Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Besson Prestige (Gold Lacquer) review/experience

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    Hi Micah,

I have a new horn in my possession. I worked with matt Walters at dillon and Declan Lynch at Buffet to get a good horn in my hands.
    Good news. Can't wait to hear your impressions. I've dealt with Matt (and Jim) at Dillon and they do a great job.

The horn drop shipped from buffet, and arrived well packed.

It plays more or less identically to the one I initially had from Thomann. The serial number seems to place it as the 1386th besson started in 2020.

Thanks he valves are still breaking in, but this horn doesn’t have the horrible first valve problem that was a result of poor machining on the other.

Thomann received the initial horn back from me last week, so I’m eagerly waiting for the refund!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Good news. Can't wait to hear your impressions. I've dealt with Matt (and Jim) at Dillon and they do a great job.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

3. Hello Mike,

This is absolutely wonderful news. I was wondering if you would give us a full breakdown and review of your new Gold Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium for us? I really hope to hear you playing your new Gold Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium in the very near future.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Micah - your comparison videos on YouTube you posted last year has been extremely helpful at hearing the differences between the two Prestige's, the Sovereign, the Willson 2960 and Yamaha 842. Thank you so much for doing this when you were choosing a horn! Link for everyone else:
    Selecting A New Euphonium - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Micah.Dominic.Parsons View Post
    Hello Mike,

This is absolutely wonderful news. I was wondering if you would give us a full breakdown and review of your new Gold Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium for us? I really hope to hear you playing your new Gold Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium in the very near future.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

5. Hello Jake,

Thank you so much for your kind comment. I would love to do a similar video like this in the future but I would change a few aspects to make for an even more detailed comparison video for example, I would change the room for a better acoustic and I would also use an enhanced recording device which would really show the subtle differences between each instrument.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Thanks for the review! Many have been waiting to hear about how this new model plays. Obviously Steven Mead loves his and I have two friends who took the plunge and are thrilled. It’s a bit disappointing to me that the typical Besson sharp notes are still there but then again it’s basically a 2052 with the gold lacquer and the floating lead pipe which are worthwhile upgrades.
    I have one coming in a couple weeks, and I’m excited. Steve Mead is personally ensuring that I get a really good one. He assured me that it would be one that he would want to take home as his own. I’ve had the hardest time finding one in the States, so I went right to Steve.

Interestingly, the horn came with mead springs installed stock. I'm not sure whether they're the "light" springs or the regular ones. Does anyone know?
    I don't believe anyone answered this. I asked Steven and he said they come with the original mead springs.
    SE Shires Trombone (1G Bell, TB47 Slide, Tru-bore valve), Bach 5GS Mouthpiece
    Besson Prestige 2052-8G, Alliance DC3 Mouthpiece
    Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    I don't believe anyone answered this. I asked Steven and he said they come with the original mead springs.
    Buffet ended up telling me they were the light springs.

I put in the new medium springs 2 weeks ago, and they’re heavier than the ones the horn shipped with, so I’d say they were definitely the light springs.

I do know the horns USED to ship with the regular ones.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Buffet ended up telling me they were the light springs.

I put in the new medium springs 2 weeks ago, and they’re heavier than the ones the horn shipped with, so I’d say they were definitely the light springs.

I do know the horns USED to ship with the regular ones.
    That's very interesting. Maybe I'll get a set of Medium or Original springs to compare. Did you prefer the Medium to the Light?
    SE Shires Trombone (1G Bell, TB47 Slide, Tru-bore valve), Bach 5GS Mouthpiece
    Besson Prestige 2052-8G, Alliance DC3 Mouthpiece
    Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    That's very interesting. Maybe I'll get a set of Medium or Original springs to compare. Did you prefer the Medium to the Light?
    Yes. I am leaving the medium springs in this horn.

Mike
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456