X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Micah.Dominic.Parsons-OFFLINE
    • Jun 2020

Hello Mike,

I was a little sad to see that you have had to return this instrument did Thomann give any other verdict in regards to this instrument?

I am a huge fan of my Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium and I honestly have never played a more reliable or consistent instrument. I have had my new instrument since October 2020 and I would recommend them to anyone.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Comment

• miketeachesclass
      • Feb 2016

Thomann did not have another, so it had to simply be returned rather than replaced. There were 2 in stock at the Buffet Crampon warehouse in the USA, so I worked with Matt Walters at Dillon and Declan Lynch at Buffet to secure one of those horns and have Declan thoroughly look it over before it was sent to me.

Obviously the valves will need to break in. The horn plays very well so far.

The whole experience makes me wary of Besson’s quality control. I know every manufacturer has their issues, but this one is pretty rough. There is positively no way the person responsible for honing the valve cluster and the pistons didn’t see the issue. I doubt very much that Steve Mead would be happy to see a horn with such an obvious defect get out the door with his name on it.

Originally posted by Micah.Dominic.Parsons View Post
      Hello Mike,

I was a little sad to see that you have had to return this instrument did Thomann give any other verdict in regards to this instrument?

I am a huge fan of my Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium and I honestly have never played a more reliable or consistent instrument. I have had my new instrument since October 2020 and I would recommend them to anyone.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
      Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
      Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• Magikarp
        • Jul 2020

Besson are the Jaguar Land Rover of the euphonium world. If you get a good one it excels all others, otherwise you’ll end up with something that’s charming and luxurious but you’ll never quite know when it will go wrong, or how catastrophically.

(I can’t comment about the newest ones but my experience of new Besson Prestiges circa 2008-12 wasn’t good and led to me abandoning new hooters and going back to old ones, which is a stance I’ve not changed yet, although I am considering a new gold lacquer Prestige).

Anyway sorry to hear you’ve had such an issue.
        Nowt

Retired

Comment

• Jun 2020

Hello Mike,

It was a real shame to read this news. I was wondering what you were planning on doing next in regards to getting your hands on a new Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium?

I hope that we will be able to catch up soon.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Comment

• miketeachesclass
            • Feb 2016

Hi Micah,

I have a new horn in my possession. I worked with matt Walters at dillon and Declan Lynch at Buffet to get a good horn in my hands.

Hello Mike,

It was a real shame to read this news. I was wondering what you were planning on doing next in regards to getting your hands on a new Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium?

I hope that we will be able to catch up soon.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
            Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
            Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• MichaelSchott
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by miketeachesclass View Post
              Hi Micah,

I have a new horn in my possession. I worked with matt Walters at dillon and Declan Lynch at Buffet to get a good horn in my hands.
              Good news. Can't wait to hear your impressions. I've dealt with Matt (and Jim) at Dillon and they do a great job.

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                • Feb 2016

The horn drop shipped from buffet, and arrived well packed.

It plays more or less identically to the one I initially had from Thomann. The serial number seems to place it as the 1386th besson started in 2020.

Thanks he valves are still breaking in, but this horn doesn’t have the horrible first valve problem that was a result of poor machining on the other.

Thomann received the initial horn back from me last week, so I’m eagerly waiting for the refund!

Mike

Originally posted by MichaelSchott View Post
                Good news. Can't wait to hear your impressions. I've dealt with Matt (and Jim) at Dillon and they do a great job.
                Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• Jun 2020

Hello Mike,

This is absolutely wonderful news. I was wondering if you would give us a full breakdown and review of your new Gold Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium for us? I really hope to hear you playing your new Gold Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium in the very near future.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Comment

• JakeGuilbo
                    • Feb 2006

Micah - your comparison videos on YouTube you posted last year has been extremely helpful at hearing the differences between the two Prestige's, the Sovereign, the Willson 2960 and Yamaha 842. Thank you so much for doing this when you were choosing a horn! Link for everyone else:
                    Selecting A New Euphonium - YouTube

Hello Mike,

This is absolutely wonderful news. I was wondering if you would give us a full breakdown and review of your new Gold Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium for us? I really hope to hear you playing your new Gold Lacquer Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium in the very near future.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
                    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
                    K&G 3.5D
                    ---------------------------------
                    Founder and Solo Euphonium
                    San Francisco Brass Band

Comment

• Jun 2020

Hello Jake,

Thank you so much for your kind comment. I would love to do a similar video like this in the future but I would change a few aspects to make for an even more detailed comparison video for example, I would change the room for a better acoustic and I would also use an enhanced recording device which would really show the subtle differences between each instrument.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Comment

• bdawley81
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by MichaelSchott View Post
                        Thanks for the review! Many have been waiting to hear about how this new model plays. Obviously Steven Mead loves his and I have two friends who took the plunge and are thrilled. It’s a bit disappointing to me that the typical Besson sharp notes are still there but then again it’s basically a 2052 with the gold lacquer and the floating lead pipe which are worthwhile upgrades.
                        I have one coming in a couple weeks, and I’m excited. Steve Mead is personally ensuring that I get a really good one. He assured me that it would be one that he would want to take home as his own. I’ve had the hardest time finding one in the States, so I went right to Steve.
                        Ben Dawley
                        Music Director
                        Solo Euphonium, Five Lakes Metro Brass Band

Besson Prestige 2052 (Gold)
                        Shires Q41S (Medium Shank)

Comment

• Woltz
                          • Mar 2022

Interestingly, the horn came with mead springs installed stock. I'm not sure whether they're the "light" springs or the regular ones. Does anyone know?
                          I don't believe anyone answered this. I asked Steven and he said they come with the original mead springs.
                          SE Shires Trombone (1G Bell, TB47 Slide, Tru-bore valve), Bach 5GS Mouthpiece
                          Besson Prestige 2052-8G, Alliance DC3 Mouthpiece
                          Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Woltz View Post
                            I don't believe anyone answered this. I asked Steven and he said they come with the original mead springs.
                            Buffet ended up telling me they were the light springs.

I put in the new medium springs 2 weeks ago, and they’re heavier than the ones the horn shipped with, so I’d say they were definitely the light springs.

I do know the horns USED to ship with the regular ones.
                            Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                            Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

• Woltz
                              • Mar 2022

Buffet ended up telling me they were the light springs.

I put in the new medium springs 2 weeks ago, and they’re heavier than the ones the horn shipped with, so I’d say they were definitely the light springs.

I do know the horns USED to ship with the regular ones.
                              That's very interesting. Maybe I'll get a set of Medium or Original springs to compare. Did you prefer the Medium to the Light?
                              SE Shires Trombone (1G Bell, TB47 Slide, Tru-bore valve), Bach 5GS Mouthpiece
                              Besson Prestige 2052-8G, Alliance DC3 Mouthpiece
                              Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet

Comment

• miketeachesclass
                                • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Woltz View Post
                                That's very interesting. Maybe I'll get a set of Medium or Original springs to compare. Did you prefer the Medium to the Light?
                                Yes. I am leaving the medium springs in this horn.

Mike
                                Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
                                Fox Valley Brass Band

Comment

Working...
                                X