Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Besson Prestige (Gold Lacquer) review/experience

They came with dampers only - I misspoke when I added that they included extra felts.

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    That's really nice that they are sending extra dampers and felts with the instrument now. I love the way Besson instruments play but I sold mine and moved on to something else because I had to wait 3 years to get a replacement set of these. I had $17,000 worth of instruments sitting in the closet unplayable because they couldn't get it together to sell me a set of $1 parts. I really hope they've figured that out by now.

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    I didn’t mean to imply anything sinister.
    I didn't think that. My wording was just careful so I didn't sound like I was accusing Besson of messing with the USA market.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks for the review! Many have been waiting to hear about how this new model plays. Obviously Steven Mead loves his and I have two friends who took the plunge and are thrilled. It’s a bit disappointing to me that the typical Besson sharp notes are still there but then again it’s basically a 2052 with the gold lacquer and the floating lead pipe which are worthwhile upgrades.

Yeah, I actually find the gold lacquer a bit obnoxious, but it’s the only way to get the floating lead pipe, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSchott View Post
    Thanks for the review! Many have been waiting to hear about how this new model plays. Obviously Steven Mead loves his and I have two friends who took the plunge and are thrilled. It’s a bit disappointing to me that the typical Besson sharp notes are still there but then again it’s basically a 2052 with the gold lacquer and the floating lead pipe which are worthwhile upgrades.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I think Micah has a floating lead pipe on his silver plated Prestige, I think he had to do something directly with Besson to make that happen. He can probably tell you for sure, maybe...
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I am so fascinated by this talk of floating leadpipe. What would happen if we try to detach our leadpipes on other makes and make them floating leadpipes? Haha. The only time I've had a "floating" leadpipe was on a Yamaha convertible Euphonium years ago in high school.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

I find the obsession with floating leadpipe a bit odd to be honest. Of my thirteen euphoniums I’ve owned, four have had the floating leadpipe, and all the ones I prefer haven’t had.

I am giving serious thought to treating myself to a gold Prestige later in the year and it’s the only real area that’s causing me any concern (it’s not a big concern). The only other area I’m worried about is finish because the German Prestiges I had all had varying degrees of finish problems.

I like the fact it looks tacky and meretricious, although Geneva have cornered the market in the truly obnoxious combinations of materials.

On a playing note, if the new leadpipe configuration cures the woes of flat middle and top B naturals (treble clef), it’s a good thing.

It is an interesting thing. I would think that the design of a horn would take into consideration where all the bracing is, and accommodate that in terms of horn response. That said, plenty of folks use lefreque plates and notice a difference; I have to assume changes in bracing on a lead pipe changes things. I certainly notice a difference.

That said, I would never make a blanket statement like “floating lead pipes are better” - if the instrument plays well, it plays well, lead pipe be damned!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    I am so fascinated by this talk of floating leadpipe. What would happen if we try to detach our leadpipes on other makes and make them floating leadpipes? Haha. The only time I've had a "floating" leadpipe was on a Yamaha convertible Euphonium years ago in high school.

I’ll say the finish on this horn is quite good.

I kind of like the Geneva material combinations. (And I liked the silver/black York combinations). That said, I find the engravings on the GVL model horn thoroughly gaudy.

While the concert B naturals arent “fixed”, they’re markedly improved.

I am noticing a few intonation oddities, but I’ll wait to comment for a few days. I want to make sure it’s not just me.

Lastly, after having their “brass experts” review, Thomann wants me to send the horn back for repair or replacement. (See my first post about the first valve and casing). So I’m not sure how I’m going to handle that.

Quote Originally Posted by Magikarp View Post
    I find the obsession with floating leadpipe a bit odd to be honest. Of my thirteen euphoniums I’ve owned, four have had the floating leadpipe, and all the ones I prefer haven’t had.

I am giving serious thought to treating myself to a gold Prestige later in the year and it’s the only real area that’s causing me any concern (it’s not a big concern). The only other area I’m worried about is finish because the German Prestiges I had all had varying degrees of finish problems.

I like the fact it looks tacky and meretricious, although Geneva have cornered the market in the truly obnoxious combinations of materials.

On a playing note, if the new leadpipe configuration cures the woes of flat middle and top B naturals (treble clef), it’s a good thing.

10. Hello everyone,

I have been following this post with great interest, I have tested quite a number of Besson Prestige 2052-2 Euphonium's and I find each instrument is really consistent especially when compared with other brands of instruments. I believe I have the only Silver Plated Besson prestige 2052-2 Euphonium with a fully floating leadpipe and I absolutely love the may my instrument sings. If anyone has any questions I would always be happy to respond to them.

I look forward to seeing how you get on with this instrument Mike!

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast