Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Lovely Conn Double-Bell Euphonium - Restored - ACT FAST

Thumbs up FS: Lovely Conn Double-Bell Euphonium - Restored - ACT FAST

This 4-valve double-bell appears to be in outstanding condition because of a full restore (including the valves). It is satin silver with bright highlights and gold inside the small bell, made in about 1914 according to the listing (that looks about right). No hard case, but it has an Altieri gig bag. The BUY-IT-NOW price is $2,000. That seems like an unusual bargain for this horn!

ITEM SOLD FOR $2,000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333976307820

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	8300 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	9 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	8301 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	10 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	8302 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	7 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	8303 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	6 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	8304
    Last edited by davewerden; 05-31-2021 at 10:20 AM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

For those in the California part of the country, there is also a 1915 5-valve Conn double-bell euphonium with satin silver finish (smaller gold wash bell) advertised on Craigslist ($3,600);

https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/...293110161.html
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I did a little research by contacting another seller who has a similar double-bell euphonium up for sale. I told him how to check to see if the horn was HP (high pitch) or LP (low pitch). He is a musician and gave it a go. He came back to me stating it appeared to be HP (high pitch). I looked at the main tuning slide in his picture of the instrument vs. the one Dave references above. They seem the same, so I don't think any slide modifications have been done. If the instrument is HP, highly likely (sorry for the pun), then it will not play within modern concert bands and wind ensembles, unless the HP makes the horn a full half step above normal tuning, at which point you can transpose everything down a half step (that would be interesting to say the least).

But, I almost jumped at this horn because it is in such superlative condition. I still may. I could simply play the horn by itself. I suppose I could look into modifying the slide, but not sure how successful I would be at that. Man, I am really tempted to snatch this horn up!!! Hey Linda.........

BTW - thanks to Dave for bringing up the HP/LP issue to me!!
    Last edited by John Morgan; 04-26-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

4. It's a beautiful horn.

If you tried to lower the pitch by just modifying say the main tuning slide, I'd think you'd have issues trying to get the tuning right when the valves are pressed. Maybe 1st and 3rd valve would have enough tuning slide length to account for it, but the 2nd valve might be sharp still.

Hmmm, after further study and looking at some old Conn Instrument catalogues, I am not so sure this horn that Dave introduces at the top of this thread, is high pitch. Looking at the pictures of 4 and 5 valve double-bell models from that era, the main tuning slide (coming off the leadpipe) is much shorter in the pictures, leading me to believe that the longer main slide plumbing might lend one to believe it is low pitch. Conn advertised the horns of that era in both high and low pitch. So, anyone with some knowledge of this is highly encouraged to jump in and shed some light.

And, more importantly, the fellow who told me his horn (that looks like the one Dave posted) is high pitch, did NOT blow it to test it. He read something. And he showed me what it was he read. Verdict: I say that he doesn't know whatsoever if it is HP of LP.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 04-26-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Just received word from the seller that the double-bell euphonium is LOW PITCH!! So, that would allow this horn to play with modern day bands and wind ensembles and use regular euphonium music to play with piano accompaniment. The plot thickens... Linda, oh Linda, just one more time...........
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

John, you crack my up. I remember when I got my new M5050 it cost me extra as I needed to get my wife a new sewing machine. Happy wife = happy life.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    John, you crack my up. I remember when I got my new M5050 it cost me extra as I needed to get my wife a new sewing machine. Happy wife = happy life.
    Rick, I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to instruments. And I am convinced I married the most understanding and considerate wife in the world. There just is no one better when it comes to me getting horns or playing on mine at 11:30 at night, two hours after she has gone to bed.

I do try to do nice things for my wife, but she is so easily pleased (look who she married!) that it isn't hard to make her happy. A blissful life indeed.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 05-01-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

9. Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Hmmm, after further study and looking at some old Conn Instrument catalogues, I am not so sure this horn that Dave introduces at the top of this thread, is high pitch.
    My original assumption after looking at the pictures of the Conn DB referred to by Dave Werden above is that this is an HP horn converted to LP. The tuning slide in the leadpipe has the lengthened ferrules typical of a horn that is an HP convert.

Leadpipe tuning slides typically are much more sensitive than tuning slides after the valve section. An additional 1" of tubing near the leadpipe may have the same affect as 1.5" of tubing further on. In my experimentation with leadpipe length, I found a 1" extender at the receiver = 2x1" in ferrules at the tuning slide (i.e. 2" of tubing).

I would guess some judicious use of the 1-2-3 valve slides to get thyis horn to play in tune might be necessary, but it should be quite playable with the tuning slide it has.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    My original assumption after looking at the pictures of the Conn DB referred to by Dave Werden above is that this is an HP horn converted to LP. The tuning slide in the leadpipe has the lengthened ferrules typical of a horn that is an HP convert.

Leadpipe tuning slides typically are much more sensitive than tuning slides after the valve section. An additional 1" of tubing near the leadpipe may have the same affect as 1.5" of tubing further on. In my experimentation with leadpipe length, I found a 1" extender at the receiver = 2x1" in ferrules at the tuning slide (i.e. 2" of tubing).

I would guess some judicious use of the 1-2-3 valve slides to get thyis horn to play in tune might be necessary, but it should be quite playable with the tuning slide it has.

Doug
    Thanks for your eye on this Doug. I was hoping you would weigh in. It actually looks like a convert to me, too. I am calling the joint that did work on it tomorrow if the horn is still available. What looks strange is the brace on the tuning slide which would cause it to stop by contacting the brace. That seems odd, and gives credence to your thinking it was converted. The Conn catalogue from that era shows the double-bell being available in high and low pitch. But that slide sure does look suspect for being a conversion.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast