Thread: 2280 5th valve mods

1. 2280 5th valve mods

What kind of 5th valve options are possible for the King 2280? I know the 2280 tuning is already kind of unique. I've played the 4th valve mainly as an Eb valve, which I think is my preferred tuning.

I've been thinking of a 5th valve. Maybe an academic exercise, maybe a bad idea, maybe just a trombone player thinking with the wrong end again.

Being that the 4th valve on the 2280 gives a lot of options, what 5th valve options are there? Flat step like an F tuba? 4th like a bass bone? Big hand tuning slide? Something else? Better to leave it alone? What do you think?

Nothing wrong with the basic idea. The 2280 has a provision for a left-hand push-slide-ring for the 3rd valve, so you'd have to decide to either abandon that option (if it is included on the particular 2280, which it is not always) or engineer cleverly so you could manage either/both triggers.

The 2280 would really only need a 5th valve to work like Yamaha's did - dependent on the 4th valve.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Here's a description from TheHornGuys webshop of the plug-in 5th valve Dave mentioned. It includes information on tuning and fingering patterns.

https://www.hornguys.com/products/st...-321-euphonium

While the 4th valve slide design is different between the 2280 and 321, I would imagine you could get a similar plug-in valve designed and created to fit the 2280, if this is the route you decide to go down!
    Willson 2900 TA-1 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AM
    Yamaha YSL-643 Trombone - Bob Reeves BrassArk 5G "Gladstone"
    Yamaha YSL-8440 Trombone - Denis Wick 5BS
    VMI 3301S BBb Tuba - Schilke Helleberg

Past:
    York Preference 3067 Euphonium - Denis Wick 4AL
    Benge 165F Trombone - Benge Marcellus
    Wessex BR140 Baritone - Denis Wick 6BS
    F.E. Olds Special Trombone (ca. 1941)

4. Thanks for all that. After reading the Horn Guys article, I'm not sure what I would want a 5th valve for. I read in an old thread that some one named Mark was happy with his 2280 5th valve mods. Is he around or is anyone familiar with that story?

Kedit - I found a thread about 58mark adding the valve, but nothing on how he used it.)
    Last edited by hyperbolica; 04-11-2021 at 07:28 AM.

A 4-valve non-compensating euphonium has some problems in the low register when you combine the 4th and other valves. There is no good way to get a true scale. A compensating system helps to solve this. So adding a dependent trigger could get you a good scale. If you don't go below E below the bass clef very much, you may not care!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

There was just a post about this in the tubaforum.net:

https://www.tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1962
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Good find! That's 58Mark that sometimes posts here. Glad you found it. He used to be a moderator for the TubeNet before it underwent major surgery.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)