Thread: Holst 1st Suite Opening Phrase - LIP SLURS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Holst 1st Suite Opening Phrase - LIP SLURS

This is a very important piece for the band world, and consequently for euphonium players. The first 8 bars are for the tuba and euphonium sections, and anyone looking briefly at the notes would rate it as super easy. BUT... we have to play it softly and together, which is one challenge. Another challenge is that there are lip slurs that can cause one to stumble a bit. Here are some tips on smoothing those dependably, based partly on info gleaned from the 2 Lehman books and the Brasch book, and partly on my own use of alternate fingerings.

https://youtu.be/1a8-PltalRs

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I like the partial half-valve approach. If there is any part of that I chip (though rare), it's that last slur.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Well, I'll be!!! I certainly don't admit to knowing everything there is to know about euphonium playing, but I have heard over the years most of what there is to know, even if I can't do all those things. But, I have never heard about flicking a valve down just a wee bit as you go to do a slur with otherwise no valve change. I know exactly the thing you are talking about, say slurring from middle F to Bb on the top of the bass clef staff. There are times it goes pretty smoothly, other times where there is a "little hitch in your giddy-up". This really tends to make it more like a valve change slur, which is much easier.

The slur from tuning note Bb concert (top of staff) to D, even though it is a small interval, has always seemed a bit sketchy, especially when you need to do it fast in a piece. What I have done a lot in the past is to go from the open Bb and then use 1-2 or 3 to slur to the D. Makes it much easier. Otherwise, in a fast series of slurred notes with the Bb-D in the series, the D sometimes just doesn't sound without the help of one of those valve combinations.

I have added your excellent new tool to my repertoire, Dave. Many thanks for that tip, which I almost spent a lifetime not knowing about! After trying it out, I see there is a bit of an art to get just the right amount of valve deflection so that the slur goes well, but also so that the valve deflection is not heard (or so insignificant you don't think you are hearing it).

This old dog learned a new trick!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

The half valve approach is definitely very handy! Thank you for the video! After watching it, against all common sense, I tried to do it while I was playing for a teacher, and I messed up big time! Automatically pressed down the valve fully instead of just half valve. Lesson learnt, don't try new techniques without practicing it beforehand.
    "Never over complicate things. Accept "bad" days. Always enjoy yourself when playing, love the sound we can make on our instruments (because that's why we all started playing the Euph)"

Euph: Yamaha 642II Neo - 千歌音
    Mouthpiece: K&G 4D, Denis Wick 5AL

https://soundcloud.com/ashsparkle_chika
    https://www.youtube.com/user/AshTSparkle/

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianeSparkle View Post
    The half valve approach is definitely very handy! Thank you for the video! After watching it, against all common sense, I tried to do it while I was playing for a teacher, and I messed up big time! Automatically pressed down the valve fully instead of just half valve. Lesson learnt, don't try new techniques without practicing it beforehand.
    That is funny, Chrissie!!! I had to practice that valve flick a bit to get it right. Even a little more than just a tiny press will goof it up. But you will get it I am sure!!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I've used the 'bump a valve' approach to slurring at times. I thought I was cheating. Good to hear some pros sometimes do the same.

Nice video Dave!
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Thanks, Rick! I forgot to mention...the Faure recording is from this week, and it is the first "real" recording I've done with the Alliance DC3 mouthpiece. (My next step is to test the DC4 after I get used to it.)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium