Thread: An actual list of almost every tenor shank for reproduction purposes

An actual list of almost every tenor shank for reproduction purposes

This isn't everything, and I haven't been able to confirm every single shank type, but this is a pretty huge sample. Fact of the matter is that the cost of acquiring anything beyond what I already have is exorbitant and I've gotten the exact opposite of help with this.

It's up to you to figure out what your instrument uses. The best way to do this is to just know. The second best way is to have so many mouthpiece types that you can test everything until you figure it out. Measuring receiver openings and trying to work based on insertion depth is pretty much useless unless the country of origin used the Metric system, and even then it's not 100% consistent.

If you need to run some math, umm...sorry. Magafor took down their taper calculator for some reason.

All values are in metric because that's what works best. Tapers are basically just approximations for the sake of having a reproducable value.
    1:20 = 5% = .05"/1" = Standard Taper
    1:19 = probably 3 degree cone or some antique non-sense
    1:24 = Taken from the literal definition of "Brown & Sharpe" taper, which is .5"/1'
    3:50 = 6% = .06"/1"

Red = unconfirmed info
    Blue = you're welcome

10.3mm = Bach Alto Trumpet Shank - Beuscher American Tenor Horn

10.5mm @ 1:19 = proprietary H.N. White and Olds Tenor Shank - Unconfirmed tip diameter due to lack of mouthpiece

10.5mm = Large Alto Horn Shank - Used for some of the smaller ovalform Tenorhorns (Althorn in B)

10.55mm, 10.6mm, 10.7mm = All those crazy Alto Trombone and Baroque things that you might confuse for tenor things

10.7mm = Bach/Schilke Small Tenor Shank

10.8mm = JK Small Tenor Shank

10.95mm @ 1:16 = Artist Era Conn Baritone Shank - Can't confirm because I can't seem to buy one, but this is likely the Conn "B" shank. Fit confirmed with custom mouthpiece.

10.95mm @ 1:19 = Conn Precision Series Small Tenor Shank - Probably .430" or .431" @ 3 degree cone or some nasty old taper that is similar.

11.0mm = pBone

11.25mm = Berkeleywind Fiscorn, Precision Era Conn 20-I

11.5mm = Industry standard Bariton Schaft

11.7mm @ 1:19 = Besson medium shank - Probably .460" @ 3 degrees, but this is extremely close.

11.8mm = Conn 24-I and 25-I Constellation Euphonium shank

11.9mm = JK Baroque Bass Trombone shank

11.9mm @ 1:24 = Conn 30-I - I pulled this from a schematic for an Arthur Lehman mouthpiece. (15/32" @ 1:24)

12.0mm = Russian Baritone - Unconfirmed due to receiver repair.

12.5mm = Bass Trombone shank, Small Tuba shank, Large Tenor Shank

12.65mm = Yamaha Bass Trombone? - Can't remember what for, but this is a legit shank size.

12.7mm = Mirafone Large Tenor Shank

12.75mm = ???

12.9mm = JK Contrabass Trombone shank

13.0mm = Bach Contrabass Trombone shank

13.0mm @ 1:24 = Remington shank

13.1mm = American Tuba shank

13.5mm = Large Euro Tuba shank

*edit*
    Confirmed 10.95mm @ 1:16 for what I think is the Conn "B" mouthpiece. Unfortunately, I can't prove it because people are so crazy that I can't buy one. So all I have is a working custom mouthpiece fitting a horn.

* And now the epic tale of 11.9mm @ 1:24 *
    This shank type is apparently a lot more common than I initially thought. Since it's an imperial measure, I have absolutely no idea how it got around as much as it did, but it's possible that there actually British instruments using this. For a mouthpiece using this taper, it should be longer than a typical small shank mouthpiece, and it will seemingly fit a medium shank receiver. When doing so, there will be an ignorable amount of wobble and intonation will be tragic. For the opposite situation, you will get a lot more wobble. In either event, I would not be surprised if someone just ignored it.

You may find this crazy shank being used on:
    Chinese made "Baritones" of older design (Probably 2010 and older)
    Indian made 9'Bb things (Tenor Sousaphone and maybe Baritone)
    Soviet era Leningrad factory Baritone, but not Tenorhorn. Unconfirmed. 1:24 taper fits my Kinderform Tenor, but 11.9mm is incorrect. Stick with 11.5mm shank for that.
    At least one Conn Double-bell Euphonium
    Last edited by notaverygoodname; 03-04-2023 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Updated details
    Hobbyist. Collector. Oval rotary guy. Unpaid shill for Josef Klier mouthpieces.