X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1Cor13:4
    • Feb 2021

Hawkes & Son Euphoniums

What are people's thoughts on the Hawkes & Son compensating euphoniums before they merged with Boosey?
    Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16
  • highpitch
    • Mar 2006

They couldn't build compensators, as B&H held the Blaikley patent.

They did have some workarounds, such as 5 valves and odd fingerings.

DG

Comment

• 1Cor13:4
      • Feb 2021

I see, interesting. I didn't realize the patent for the compensating system only ran out in the 1970s
      Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Comment

• MarChant
        • Feb 2016

They do have a "compensating" Euphonium called the "Dictor" in their 1923 catalogue:

https://brasstacks.de/ce_photo/html/...0_850-1032.jpg

The fingering chart on the bottom shows the odd fingering.
        Last edited by MarChant; 04-01-2021, 11:27 AM.
        Martin Monné

My collection of Brass Instruments

Comment

• highpitch
          • Mar 2006

B&H and Hawkes merged in the '30's.

DG

Comment

Working...
          X