Thread: Mouthpiece Library

Mouthpiece Library

OK. So I've admittedly got a bit of a problem when it comes to my mouthpiece collection.

Rather than piecemeal them out, I was thinking about creating a way people can "borrow" them to try out some different stuff without dropping a ton of cash like I did. I've got some out of the ordinary stuff (especially for the USA), like Randefalk, AR Resonance, and Romera, as well as a whole host of "standard" pieces like wick, schilke, blah blah blah. Something like 65 in total.

Any thoughts on how I might be able to make something like this work? I don't want to make this a money maker necessarily, but these things aren't cheap, and inevitably will wear/damage over time, particularly when changing hands frequently.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
    Mike
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Ideas

It seems to me that this would be easy enough to build a spreadsheet and/or database for managing. The trick would be just having the time to keep it up, so that it has current information on who has what mouthpiece, when it is expected back, and who should get it next. And who would be the person responsible for having the mouthpieces while they are "at rest" so to speak. I would be happy to help build the spreadsheet/database, but it would need to be on someone else to run the show and be the "librarian". As the mouthpieces owner, I would think that would/should fall on you. Contact me if you want some help with the computer side of things.

I would think that the "librarian" could be reimbursed for the cost of shipping the mouthpieces both ways, so that there would not be anything out of pocket. Or maybe the borrower can pay to ship the requested mouthpiece(s) on to the next borrower. If everyone keeps their part of the process moving and nothing gets "lost in the mail" there is no reason that the mouthpieces can not circulate on a shoe string budget.

- Sara Hood (see my profile page for more info)
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Hi Sara!

Thanks for the input - for clarification, I plan to handle the thing myself; it’s a finite supply, and a very niche market, so I would be surprised if it was met with huge demand.

A spreadsheet seems unlikely to become unmanageable in this case.

I suppose worst case, I can try it, see how it goes, and go from there!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    It seems to me that this would be easy enough to build a spreadsheet and/or database for managing. The trick would be just having the time to keep it up, so that it has current information on who has what mouthpiece, when it is expected back, and who should get it next. And who would be the person responsible for having the mouthpieces while they are "at rest" so to speak. I would be happy to help build the spreadsheet/database, but it would need to be on someone else to run the show and be the "librarian". As the mouthpieces owner, I would think that would/should fall on you. Contact me if you want some help with the computer side of things.

I would think that the "librarian" could be reimbursed for the cost of shipping the mouthpieces both ways, so that there would not be anything out of pocket. Or maybe the borrower can pay to ship the requested mouthpiece(s) on to the next borrower. If everyone keeps their part of the process moving and nothing gets "lost in the mail" there is no reason that the mouthpieces can not circulate on a shoe string budget.

- Sara Hood (see my profile page for more info)
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Okay then, have fun with it (smile). By day I am an accountant. So I often think in spreadsheets, so to speak. Feel free to reach out to me if you want/need help with that part. I like your idea and wish it every success.
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Thanks Sara!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    Okay then, have fun with it (smile). By day I am an accountant. So I often think in spreadsheets, so to speak. Feel free to reach out to me if you want/need help with that part. I like your idea and wish it every success.
    - Sara
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band