Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    There really is nothing quite like having a brand new instrument on the way to you. At 73 years old, I still get thrilled and anxious just like a little kid at Christmas. Some things never change! Let us know all about it, Joe!
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks John, I will! Saturday can't come soon enough! It really is like getting a new toy at Christmas time!
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMin View Post
    Thanks John, I will! Saturday can't come soon enough! It really is like getting a new toy at Christmas time!
    Joe
    I absolutely agree with John and Joe. Don't tell my wife, but the happiest day of my life was when they delivered my Steinway (that was before we started dating).
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Ha! Ha!...That's great Dean!...now, I'm jealous, I want a Steinway too!
    The horn is in Shrewsbury, Mass and is scheduled to be at my door tomorrow sometime before 7PM...
    Joe

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    I absolutely agree with John and Joe. Don't tell my wife, but the happiest day of my life was when they delivered my Steinway (that was before we started dating).
    I hear you, Dean. Back in 1990 when stationed at the Pentagon during my final years in the Army (retired in 1992), my wife and I purchased a brand new Steinway Model B Grand. I think, no actually I know, my first house in 1970 cost about 1/3 what we paid for that piano. What a glorious instrument though. And I was paying on it for many, many years. We almost bought a completely restored Steinway Grand that was close to a hundred years old. It was GORGEOUS!!! With real ivory keys. So close to getting that, but in the final analysis, picked the new one. Because as we moved a lot, we were really worried about moving this piano. But it was absolutely exquisite!!! And a sound to just literally die for. I don't think I have ever heard a more beautiful sound. I need to reincarnate myself because there are so many more instruments I would like to get and play and cherish. There are a couple euphoniums that I would like to have, the Sinfonico, and the Willson saxhorn. And the flugabone interests me. So many choices, so little time, alas...
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Hello all,
    Just got my new horn about 2 hours ago. I love it!! So far , so good. I think I'm going to be paranoid every time I lift it up! It's so shiny and perfect, I can't stand the thought of that first scratch or, God forbid, a dent. I'll be super careful ...for now, anyway
    Joe

Congrats, Joe! Do let us know what you think after some time spent with the instrument.
    Trombone - Andreas Eastmann ETB432G
    Trombone - Buescher 410 Tenor (1926)
    Trumpet - John Packer JP251SW in Frosted Gold
    Euphonium - King 1129SP Marching Euphonium
    Euphonium - Wessex EP600 "Sinfonico"

Thanks Evan...I'll do that! Being so new back in the music world, I'll hold off judgement against the horn. Any squeaks or or squawcks, I'll definitely take the blame for! But like any former Blue Knight, I'll be back (just takes a little longer at my age!)
    Joe

I'm sure you're enjoying the horn Joe! I was going to link to an old thread about breaking in a new horn, especially the valves, but I couldn't find it. The gist of it was give it a really good bath when you get it to wash off any residues from manufacturing. Then for the first several months or so wipe down the valves, brush out the valve casings, and oil the pistons at the end of every practice session. I did that with my horn when I got it and I'm glad I did.

Besides that play a lot and enjoy the progress!

Thanks for the good advice...I'd like this horn to last a good long time. I'm still like the kid at Christmas, don't know if I can take the time to wash it yet, but I think I'll really try to stick with your advice...in particular the special attention to the valves after each practice session. Again, thank you for the practical advice.
    Joe

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast