Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Wessex:
    * silver/gold in June
    * silver in early May
    * gold brass bell (lacquer) in early May

ACB:
    * sometime, maybe a few weeks

I have a friend who ordered an ACB Doubler in satin brass about 5-6 weeks ago and was told 3 weeks at the time, but she is still waiting. They get hung up in customs sometimes, and it becomes hard to predict.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Joe,

To clarify ACB, they have an unspoken for silver finish Doubler and 2 clear lacquer Doublers coming within a week or two, clearing customs being the unknown time. Then all three finishes are available in their next shipment in the May-June timeframe. This from speaking with them personally today.

John
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Wow!...thanks for all the info! I'll have to give it all some more thought. Too much for my old brain to digest all at once.I'll also have to look at finance deals that these shops offer
    and figure what amount I can put down.

I bought a Wessex Dolce two years ago, and have been very happy. Their customer service is probably the best in the Chinese-import market. Their hands-on quality control produces an excellent instrument for the money. I know that sounds like a commercial, but it's the truth.

PS: All I know about Schiller is anecdotal, but none of it is good.

I bought a Schiller Elite compensating euphonium about 6 years ago. It wasn't the Elite IV or Elite V, just the one called Elite compensating euphonium that is currently listed for $885 on their website. I remember at the time feeling like my choice was between that and Mack Brass, I went with the Schiller because I wanted a horn in lacquer finish and it was a bit cheaper than Mack. I don't think Mack offers theirs in lacquer.

The Schiller got me playing again after a long break and it has been fine. Not amazing, but has served me well.

You will get a better horn from a better business if you go Mack/ACB/Wessex. When I went to the Wessex showroom they were great people to deal with and I really enjoyed playing their instruments. If you can stretch your budget to one of those options you won't regret it. But I at least wanted to share that Schiller is an option. I'm not necessarily recommending it over Mack/Wessex/ACB, just wanted to add my experience.

My thanks again to all replies! I'm a bit overwhelmed by the possibilities to get an affordable horn that would also be a quality instrument. I have to tread carefully, as I don't want
    to jump into something that I'd later regret. Unfortunately, at this stage of my life, price Does come into play. I'm not trying to claim poverty, it's just that both my wife and I are careful with purchases this large. I'll mull all these possibilities over and certainly keep everyone updated.

Thank you all for your valuable input! I'm now the proud owner of an ACB Doubler Euphonium - Clear lacquer yellow brass. I can expect it in 2-3 weeks. Anxiously awaiting!
    My decision was difficult with the many different options available...but I believe, for the money, I should be more than pleased with the resulting quality. ACB , by the way, was extremely helpful and knowledgeable in this process. Seems like a great company to do business with.

Joe Mintel

Sounds like a good choice and glad you are happy. Looking forward to an update when you get the horn.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Congrats Joe! Sounds like you've made a fantastic choice

Hello everyone,
    Just to update...
    My new ACB is in the final stage of shipping with UPS. It's supposed arrive on Saturday! I'm thrilled, anxiously awaiting!
    Thanks for all the support and encouragement!
    Joe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast