Thread: Steven Mead

1. Steven Mead

Hello everyone,

I have recently been reading this superb thesis by Robert Pendergast (https://fsu.digital.flvc.org/islando...tream/PDF/view) which got me thinking about my first lesson with Steven Mead which took place in January 2012 and it got me thinking about the huge impact that Steven Mead has had on the Euphonium Community where pretty much everyone has their own story to tell about an encouter with Steve.

I wanted to start a thread to share these positive stories in the hope that we could perhaps start a threat sharing our moments and encounters with Steven Mead.

I look forward to reading some of your stories.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Hi Micah,

Thanks for the kind words. I am by no means a professional writer, but I'm glad you found the treatise interesting. I'm thankful that Steve shared so much of his time for the numerous interviews. He has been a major influence on me in terms of sound, phrasing, and work ethic. I'm immensely grateful for the time I was able to study with him at the Royal Northern College of Music.

Robert Pendergast, DM

3. Hello Robert,

I have to admit that since I first discovered your work on Steven Mead it has really fascinated me and each time I read through it I always spot something new. I would love to see what would be included if you were to publish this thesis or update it. I have to admit your thesis is one of the most valuble resources that I am able to access.

I really hope you are keeping well and I hope we will be able to catch up soon.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons
    Last edited by Micah.Dominic.Parsons-OFFLINE; 03-20-2021 at 02:44 PM.

So, first time (and only time so far) I met Steven Mead was at a workshop day (with a concert with the brass band it was organised by in the evening) when I was... 14 years old I believe (gosh that's already 10 years ago, I'm getting old).

What was really impressing me was how thoroughly he explained things. Keep in mind that until then, I hadn't had a true euphonium teacher ever (only had a saxophone and french horn teacher thus far) so a lot of things were completely new and eye-opening to me. What was also interesting to me was his curiosity towards instruments. One of my bandmates (another young boy like me) also attended the workshop, and when Steven noticed his instrument (an old Mahillon baritone horn), he immediately walked over to him and asked if he could see it, and started inspecting it, impressed by the good condition it was in.

After the workshop I wanted to buy a CD of him but I was too nervous, so my parents (who had come to join me to attend the concert) pushed me to go for it, and he was incredibly kind and supportive and signed it as well (I still have that signed CD right here on my shelf, actually.)
    Euphoniums
    Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Globe Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    early 2000's British Besson Sovereign 955
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick 6BS

A fascinating read. I might have to book a couple of sessions with the indefatigable Mr Mead, if there's ever any danger of actual playing happening again!
    Adams E2 0.80 Yellow Brass, Satin Lacquer, Blue Abalone Buttons
    AR Resonance M Top / L Backbore Gold Plated Phosphor Bronze

6. Hello everyone,

JH, that is an incredible story, the first time I ever met Steven Mead was the very first time that I was going to take a lesson with him which was such an incredible experience to be honest!

Magikarp, I would literally give anything to see you take a session with Steven Mead! This would honestly be amazing!

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons