Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ACB/Mack/Wessex

A friend made video of me playing my new toys.

https://www.facebook.com/1477713947/...5615220955498/
    Wessex Sinfonico Euphonium
    Leuchter Bass Sackbut
    Conn 88H
    Bach 50B3
    Cool Winds Tuba Blue!

Quote Originally Posted by btrbcomposer View Post

FYI, I am unable to see the content. Facebook says there is a permissions problem.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Ditto.... I can't play the video either.... I am using Microsoft Edge.

G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by btrbcomposer View Post

Or how about posting on YouTube for those of us who do not use Facebook?
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

My EP-600 "Sinfonico" got here about half an hour ago. I stopped playing for a moment to type this set of first impressions.

First off, it's hands-down the easiest-to-play brass instrument I own. When I pulled it out of the case, I immediately ran up and down a 2-octave Bb scale and the extremes of that scale were silky smooth and easy to sound. I even went down an octave from 1st partial Bb chromatically and was able to sound everything down through the pedal tones, which I've had issues with on every instrument I have, due to wearing dentures. The partials lock in and are very positive about where they "want" to be played. As Dave said earlier, it definitely has its own intonation quirks. I'm going to sit here with a tuner in just a little bit and sort of document where they are for my embouchure, playing at a steady forte (if that interests you, let me know). But, I'll say this, to my ear I haven't heard any that are wildly off from what my ears expect. I've played along with some of the stuff I have sitting in MuseScore for the local high school, and it seems dead on or very close to the "perfect" pitch produced by the software while playing along.

The valve buttons were loose, and the 4th valve stem was a little out of alignment (the button was clanging when I'd press it) when it came out of the case for the first time. I took a moment to address those simple issues, add a little valve oil, and now they feel like... well.. no other valved instrument I own feels like this. The pads are like frickin' pillows. It is the most comfortable, silky-smooth, luxurious feeling I've ever experienced playing a valved brass instrument. My trumpet has cork pads that are pretty standard, same for the marching euphonium, they feel stiff like you're punching a miniature 200lb hanging bag, right? This thing has memory foam pillows instead. It is the most noticeable feature apart from the easy playability that I've found so far.

Bear with me, but I have to contrast this with the Wessex Flugabone that I sent back this week. It was nowhere near as easy to play, the partials were not as locked-in and positive, and even for a small-bore instrument, playing on a 12C mouthpiece the F above the bass clef staff and up were not as easy as they are on this euphonium, and it's large-bore and I'm playing on the mouthpiece that came with the instrument, which is marked as a "Wessex 4Y" and looks similar to the Helleberg 5E that I use for the King marching euphonium. Heck, I can even contrast it with THAT instrument, which is a joy to play, because even it doesn't let me pop out those higher partials with as much ease and good tone as this euphonium does.

After just an hour or so (I stopped in the middle of writing this to play some more), this thing feels like a soloist's dream. It's lightweight, but it projects well at least to my ears. (I don't have another euph to compare it to other than the marching one, and, well, that thing is MADE to project sound, so YMMV.) It's agile throughout, I'm way more easily able to do octave lip-slur exercises and other large-interval movements at speed. I've tried it with the Helleberg 5E mouthpiece and I'm feeling and hearing similar results with that mouthpiece as well. Articulation is easy, I'm able to do some double and triple tongue exercises with this instrument that are REALLY tough on everything else but my trumpet (don't ask me why, but articulation is just EASY on that thing).

I need to do some cleaning in here so I can record and not feel self-conscious about the place (it's my home office and I practically live down here, so it's messy), but I should be able to produce a video or two on it soon.
    Trombone - Andreas Eastmann ETB432G
    Trombone - Buescher 410 Tenor (1926)
    Trumpet - John Packer JP251SW in Frosted Gold
    Euphonium - King 1129SP Marching Euphonium
    Euphonium - Wessex EP600 "Sinfonico"

Oh, I should mention, it came with a slightly longer tuning slide as well, in the case wrapped in packing foam.

I'd read that other people had requested them, but I didn't expect to see one in the case without me asking for it. That's kinda cool of them, honestly.

Hello Evan, very encouraging first impressions.... I am very much looking forward to reading about your further Sinfonico experiences using both tuning slides, including any intonation quirks, particularly starting with the 6th partial and above.

And once you are supercomfy with it, a nice demo on Youtube that puts Sinfonico through its paces would be scrumptious

Saluti, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

FWIW, you can find my own tuning test results from the Sinfonico prototype. It hadn't been named yet at that point, so use the link below and choose the Wessex EP600 Prototype option (you can choose others as well if you want to compare):

http://www.dwerden.com/Intonation/index.cfm
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

I saw that review, Dave, and was thinking about those results when I mentioned it above. I may put them up side by side and compare my experience to yours, if that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanWeeks View Post
    I may put them up side by side and compare my experience to yours, if that's ok.
    Of course!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast