Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ACB/Mack/Wessex

1. How in-tune is it?

2. I'm curious also. Some people reported it was very sharp, to the point that the tuning slides weren't long enough to make it in tune.

Hi BTRBComposer, any more early impressions of your new Sinfonico?

What impresses you most about Sinfonico, and what you wish it could do even better?

Any plans to record a video or audio clip of it?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hi BTRBComposer, any more early impressions of your new Sinfonico?

What impresses you most about Sinfonico, and what you wish it could do even better?

Any plans to record a video or audio clip of it?

Regards, Guido
    Here is a recording of Logan Willis who has entered the Wessex competition. He bought a Sinfonico recently, and he and his Dad were concerned about the horn being very sharp. I think he got a replacement main tuning slide, but not sure. You can, however, at least listen to the horn. He seems to have made a nice video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH-RHGG-H0k
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thank you so much John for the link.... Very fine tone!

Guido

Sinfonico came a day early! It is a very beautiful piece of work, and sounds exactly as I expect a euphonium to sound with the state of my chops a present. They even sent me a hat!

Tuning - it comes with two tuning slides. At first play it seemed to be really sharp against my TE Tuner on my iPad, so I tried it with the longe slide, which helped. Yesterday I pulled up a couple of pieces in Finale to play along with, and had to put the short slide back in to be in tune with the playback. So a work in progress . The tuner showed me with a very inconsistent pitch, so in depth fine tuning will have to wait until I am stronger.

That said, I do plan on making a couple of recordings at some point. I also have a Cool Winds tuba coming today, so duets and quartets will be considered. I may even get around to writing again.

Another thing that comes with the horn is a set of interchangable mouthpiece recievers. I started out with the supplied mouthpiece in the large one, and quickly decided it was to small for what I usually want. I have a Bach 2G in my 88H that one of my main messing around horns, so tried that, and it was better. Checking the recieveers I found that the middle one was for a European shank, and I have one, a Marcinkowicz 3 that I play on my Leuchter bass sackbut. It also works fine in the Wessex, so those two will be rotated for a while until I get a better feel for which one works best. If I do go with the Marcinkowicz I will get a laarge shank one.

Thanks all for the interest, and all the info going into this.

I am really curious to hear how your experience shapes up. I'm sitting here looking at either a John Packer JP374S Sterling or the Sinfonico from Wessex, and will probably pull the trigger on one of them within the next week or so. Please update us on how things go!

8. EvanWeeks, I sent you a PM for something in case it interests you.

I actually am going to pull the trigger on the EP600 "Sinfonico"

I spoke with my wife about it today (it's our 15th anniversary, yay!) and she approved the purchase. So, give it a week or two and I should be able to add some notes here.

Congratulations Evan for pulling the trigger on lovely Sinfonico... As well as for your 15th anniversary!

I am very much looking forward to reading your early impressions, and perhaps viewing/hearing a nice video demo of your new "baby".

Regards, Guido

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast