Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning valves

Quote Originally Posted by euphisto View Post
    I've tried a number of cleaners, including vinegar. However, I've had the best results with a valve cleaner that Jerry Pollard makes. It's excellent. Here's a link: https://www.prestovalves.com/product...aner-and-brush
    I've met Jerry a few times and he knows his stuff. I'll bet that's pretty good.
    --
    Barry

I've met Jerry a few times and he knows his stuff. I'll bet that's pretty good.

Barry,

Jerry's products are fantastic. I can't recommend them highly enough and he's a great guy. I just received an order from him and took some photos.

Robert Pendergast, DM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0724.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	8253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0725.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	8254

Roger,

There are no instrument repair shops where I live, so once a year I clean my valves and valve casings using normal toothpaste as mild polishing/lapping paste. I use a regular soft toothbrush to apply and scrub carefully the casings and body of the pistons, and rinse all parts thoroughly with water after cleaning. Especially the notch in the valve casing where the plastic valve guide fits into seems to collect dirt over time, making the valve to stick. However, I do dismantle the valves completely to do this, which is fairly easy on my Besson 765. I maintained the valves of my horn for more than 20 years now this way, and they still play like new.

Hope this helps?

Dieter

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Debusschere View Post
    Roger,

There are no instrument repair shops where I live, so once a year I clean my valves and valve casings using normal toothpaste as mild polishing/lapping paste. I use a regular soft toothbrush to apply and scrub carefully the casings and body of the pistons, and rinse all parts thoroughly with water after cleaning. Especially the notch in the valve casing where the plastic valve guide fits into seems to collect dirt over time, making the valve to stick. However, I do dismantle the valves completely to do this, which is fairly easy on my Besson 765. I maintained the valves of my horn for more than 20 years now this way, and they still play like new.

Hope this helps?

Dieter
    I would be careful. The abrasiveness of toothpastes varies greatly. For example: https://scheumanndental.com/abrasive...n-toothpastes/

If you want to scrub the vales and casing, baking soda is probably best. This used to be the go to for coin collectors.

Mike

I was certainly not aware of this. Thanks for the information Mike!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12