Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alliance DC3 vs. Wick 4AL Results and MORE!

1. Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Well, 30 years anyway! And before that for a while it was a 4BL.

But over all that time I have thought, "I really like this except for..." Fuzz in the tone was the first thing I noticed, and the clarity is not quite what I want sometimes. I think my last effort was talking to Parker Mouthpieces in Knoxville at ITEC. But while the one he gave me was really nice and felt good on the face, it didn't have that open sound that has kept with with the 4AL. So I've been looking, at least half heartedly.
    It is funny how people stick with what they know, even though it is not quite right. The issues you mention are what I hear during the demonstration. The open sound that you enjoy sounds to me "too open" and is missing some of the core and fullness of a complete sound. I would call it an over spread sound.

I think the DC mouthpiece has the sound you might be looking for. But I would investigate the DC4 also. People who say such and such is too small in diameter may be just talking about what they are used to. I would give it a try.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

The voting is closed, but I thought I would give a comment anyway. This is certainly a non-expert opinion using my own non-standard, non-technical description. I thought the blue had a bigger, bolder, and more extroverted sound. The red was more introverted or introspective. I thought the tone quality of the red was sweeter, which is not to say more mellow, maybe even less mellow, but somehow sweeter in tone. As for a preference, I dunno, maybe it just depends on what kind of a sound you want to accomplish. You sounded great on either one.

‘I'm leaning hard toward the DC3. I believe I can bring more to the Holst if I just work more on that type of playing with the DC3, for one thing. And I often feel like I want a better center than I can get from the 4AL - the DC3 might bring that to the table.

I thank ALL OF YOU for your input! Obviously the decision is still up to me, but your opinions were very helpful in focusing my thoughts.’

Based upon Dave’s auto signature he chose the Alliance DC4…correct?!?!
    Last edited by Shinn; 08-23-2021 at 12:40 PM.
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Shinn View Post
    Based upon Dave’s auto signature he chose the Alliance DC4…correct?!?!

Yes, that is what I'm currently playing. (If I were still in a full-time gig I would have stayed with the DC3 I tested, but the 4 makes life a little easier for my aged chops!)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you for the confirmation. Greatly appreciate the reviews and videos of the Alliance DC mouthpieces!
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

6. Hi Mr. Werden,
    I am Ben Fraser. I play large bore tenor trombone, but used to play euphonium back in high school and college. I’m looking at purchasing a new mouthpiece and was considering buying DC Alliance mouthpiece. I have a few questions about this mouthpiece… is the rim a flat rim like Dennis Wick mouthpieces ( I used to play a 4BS on a medium bore trombone) or closer to the rim contour of a Bach mouthpiece, semi-curved? Will the DC Alliance mouthpiece sound different through a trombone than a euphonium, because the DC Alliance is a euphonium mouthpiece? I play on a Bach 4G now and I am not happy with the tone color it produces on my horn…
    - Ben Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Fraser View Post
    Hi Mr. Werden,
    I am Ben Fraser. I play large bore tenor trombone, but used to play euphonium back in high school and college. I’m looking at purchasing a new mouthpiece and was considering buying DC Alliance mouthpiece. I have a few questions about this mouthpiece… is the rim a flat rim like Dennis Wick mouthpieces ( I used to play a 4BS on a medium bore trombone) or closer to the rim contour of a Bach mouthpiece, semi-curved? Will the DC Alliance mouthpiece sound different through a trombone than a euphonium, because the DC Alliance is a euphonium mouthpiece? I play on a Bach 4G now and I am not happy with the tone color it produces on my horn…
    - Ben Fraser
    Welcome to the forum!

It's a somewhat vague area, as I'm sure you know. In general the Alliance rim feels a bit "softer" to me compared to the Wick. I think it might have a slightly more rounded inner rim. To me anyway, the inside rim on the Bach seems a bit sharper.

The 4AL is considered by some to be a "trombone mouthpiece" even thought it was been used by tons of euphonium players over the years, including me. So don't worry about the Alliance being a "euphonium mouthpiece" - you should try it on trombone and see what you think.

I think the DC4 should be up for consideration as well as the DC3. I find the 4 a better balance. The 3 MIGHT get to be a bit too dark on trombone, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Here is another thread, where I compare the 4AL to the DC4 in a large room (on euphonium):

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...s-Alliance-DC4
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Hello Ben, and welcome to the forum!

In case you were interested, the only source I have found for Alliance DC mouthpieces in the US is Dillon Music. See:

https://www.dillonmusic.com/alliance...um-mouthpiece/

Currently, Dillon has 3 units of the DC4 in stock, while all other sizes are out of stock. Price is attractive, just shy of $88 USD.

I am not quite sure if Dillon plans to restock the Alliance DC series or not.

Outside the US, the only source I found is the Alliance Brass web site at:

https://www.alliancebrassltd.com/pro...62121582031250

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12