Thread: More on doubling

More on doubling

Has anyone used the book Low Brass Player's Guide to Doubling by Micah Everett? If so, how useful is it for a euphonium player doubling on tuba?

I notice in the chapter titles there is not a chapter specifically on that combination of instruments (i.e. euphonium doubling on tuba), though there is a chapter on going in the other direction (i.e. tuba doubling on euphonium)

Thanks

I have not.

However, I recently uploaded a conference session on this issue: "Doubling the Tenor Tuba (Euphonium)." In 1982 there was an interesting panel discussion about doubling on euphonium and tenor tuba. The panel included M. Dee Stewart (Moderator), Larry Campbell, Brian Bowman, Allen Kofsky, Jim Self, and Ashley Alexander. There are also demonstrations along with the talk!
    https://youtu.be/LdrZwHQS3o0

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I have not.

However, I recently uploaded a conference session on this issue: "Doubling the Tenor Tuba (Euphonium)." In 1982 there was an interesting panel discussion about doubling on euphonium and tenor tuba. The panel included M. Dee Stewart (Moderator), Larry Campbell, Brian Bowman, Allen Kofsky, Jim Self, and Ashley Alexander. There are also demonstrations along with the talk!
    https://youtu.be/LdrZwHQS3o0

Very interesting video. Thanks.

4. I have used it.

I assume the writer of the OP is the same person with whom I had an email exchange a few days ago on this question. I am reproducing the relevant portion of my response in case others might be interested.
    -------

You know, I wonder why we did not do a chapter that addresses that question directly. It might have been simply that the book was already becoming quite long as we addressed various possibilities and elected to not do so.

I reviewed the "trombonists doubling on tuba" chapter today with your specific question in mind and think you would find that information helpful, in addition to the more general information at the beginning of the book. In fact, with the exception of brief discussions of comparing trombone slide positions to tuba fingerings and the differences between the airstream and sound concept between trombone and tuba, there is really nothing in that chapter that would not apply equally well to a euphoniumist adding a tuba double. (Maybe that's why we didn't do a separate chapter.)

For what it's worth, I successfully added a tuba double myself after writing the book (the doubling on tuba chapter was largely written by a coauthor who was already a good tubist). I had already played both trombone and euphonium professionally for nearly 20 years at that point, so I was approaching tuba from a bit more hybrid perspective than you are, but even I decided after putting the book together that the tuba double was something I could do using these methods. They do work!

Thanks Micah. Yes, I am the one who emailed you about the book a few days ago.