Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LOCKED NOW, SEE NEW THREAD: Will I Finally Replace My Wick 4AL with a _____?

As everyone has said above, you sound great on both mpcs. The 'blue' model to my ear sounded like it had just a bit better response - or crisper like Doug mentioned. I listened last night on my iPad, but had to wait for a better test on my PC with good speakers.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

It's very hard, for me, to hear some differences, as I don't have any suitable headphones, just smartphone earphones: Dave would sound great even with a winemaker's pipe with a funnel as a bell. Having said that my preference goes to blue, it seems to have more decisive tone with more harmonics too.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

blue. a bit more presence.
    --
    Barry

Agree with Barry, on iPhone speaker less noticeable, on iPad much more noticeable, on Bose system, huge difference. Blue has a much greater presence.

Both mouthpieces are really close in sound. There was something more lively and rich in the red mouthpiece. Not by much. Either sounded good but I like red more.
    Last edited by Rodgeman; 03-13-2021 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Took out extra wording.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    BTW, are you single or double tonging Czardas? I play that piece a bit faster and absolutely have to double tongue. If you were double tonging, that was extremely clean tonguing for double tonguing at that speed.
    It was double. I'm working every day to speed up my single tongue, but that is a very slow process. There is no way I could single tongue even at this speed, especially on the 6-note series!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    It was double. I'm working every day to speed up my single tongue, but that is a very slow process. There is no way I could single tongue even at this speed, especially on the 6-note series!
    Not trying to derail this post, as I am very curious to find out which mouthpieces you were playing, but did you know that the late Fred Dart (formerly of the U.S. Air Force Band) could not double or triple tongue? I learned that while attending the University of New Mexico (Albuquerque) in 1970-71, right before going into the U.S. Army Band. I did some playing with Fred and he filled me in on a lot of stuff concerning auditions for the premier service bands. He mentored me for almost a semester and basically just took the time to play with me, even though I was not a music major, I just played in the band. It was during those sessions that he told me he didn't double or triple tongue. I was sort of amazed as he could go really, really fast tonguing some of the things he played for me. He had undoubtedly the fastest single tongue I have heard.

Okay, now back on topic. WHICH MOUTHPIECES DID YOU USE, DAVE????
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Okay, now back on topic. WHICH MOUTHPIECES DID YOU USE, DAVE????
    Once I've given people a fair chance to chime in, I'll spill the beans! I will also listen again to my own Red/Blue recording with some of this feedback in mind.

BTW, this recording was made at the end of a rehearsal where we worked on the Arpeggione and Czardas. Then we learned the piano tuner was waiting in the hall outside the sanctuary to get in for the piano (in case you didn't notice from the recording, the piano is IN NEED). So it was a rush job and I was a bit tired. As such, I know I was not playing as consistently as I wanted. When I re-listen I'll combine my memory of that with the comments and see if there is some alignment.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

After a couple of listens, it's definitely blue for me. There's more energy and sizzle in the sound. While red might be smoother, blue is more exciting and engaging to my ear.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

I also vote for the blue mouthpiece. I think I know which mouthpieces you're testing but I'll wait for the big reveal.

Robert Pendergast, DM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast