Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Contrasting Shires Q40 vs Q41

I liked the Q40 better. There was a little more bloom and complexity in the sound, especially when the melody shifts up an octave towards the end of each sample.

Nice playing too!

2. Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    I liked the Q40 better. There was a little more bloom and complexity in the sound, especially when the melody shifts up an octave towards the end of each sample.

Nice playing too!
    Totally agree with this. You just convinced me the Q40 is a better choice for a full and expansive sound. Thank you for doing this.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Thank you so much Steve for recording the excellent comparative sample. I concur with JTJ and with Richard.... Richard and I seem always to be on the same page

I too seem to prefer Q4 for its harmonic complexity, bloom, and expansive and bold tone..... Both Q40 and Q41 sound wonderful, but I find Q40 to sound even more emotionally immersive.

The difference between the two euphos became even more evident after I reprocessed the original MP3 file to WAV, and then upsampled it to 192Khz... Most revealing media player for listening to this clip on my W10 machine turned out to be the standard Windows Media Player.

I'd be happy to post the link to the reprocessed sample on my DropBox if Steve gives me permission to do so.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post

I'd be happy to post the link to the reprocessed sample on my DropBox if Steve gives me permission to do so.
    Yes that would be fine with me! Thanks!
    Steven Vaughn, D.M.A.
    Professor of Tuba & Euphonium, University of Northern Colorado

Principal Tuba - Fort Collins Symphony
    Euphonium - Fountain City Brass Band

Eastman 836 CC Tuba
    Meinl Weston 2182W F Tuba
    Besson 2052 Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post

Nice playing too!
    Glad you could hear that even with the frack on the high A!

Thank you for the kind words!
    Steven Vaughn, D.M.A.
    Professor of Tuba & Euphonium, University of Northern Colorado

Principal Tuba - Fort Collins Symphony
    Euphonium - Fountain City Brass Band

Eastman 836 CC Tuba
    Meinl Weston 2182W F Tuba
    Besson 2052 Euphonium

Thank you so much Steve.... I posted the DropBox link to the reprocessed Q41 to Q40 comparison clip below...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wop1a42bnx...92KHz.wav?dl=0

Best regards, Guido

I prefer the Q41. It sounds sweeter, cleaner, and more agile

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by stevevaughn View Post
    I still have a Q41 and now the Q40 at my house...So, since I saw someone requesting the Cosma earlier, here is a quick sample of the beginning of the 3rd movement; first on the Q41, and then on the Q40. Please excuse my wrong note at the end of the Q41 example , I did it in 1 take and from memory! Hope you find this helpful! Both samples were played with an SM4U.

Mike's post highlights that euphonical beauty rests in the "ears of the beholder"..... Particularly when comparing two top flighters like Q40 and Q41.... Thus a question to Steven Vaughn...

In your opinion and for your professional purpose,

* In which areas do the Q40 and Q41 differ from each other?

* What are the individual most salient/greatest strengths of each model?

Best regards, Guido

Steve, thanks so much for the comparison. There is a roundness to the Q40 that lends a richness to the sound. It’s more vocal sounding, if that’s a proper term than the Q41.

I too am of the opinion that the Q41 just sounds better. I had the chance recently to compare a (brand new large shank) Q41 and (older) Q40 also and there was no comparison, the Q41 was leaps and bounds a much better horn. The intonation on the Q40 was completely out the window, the particular model I had was really sharp, not flat like in Dr. Vaughn's case. It was also stuffy and unresponsive. The Q41, on the other hand, was bright, agile, compact, beautiful. It floated and responded and resonated. It held up well next to my Adams, but I left that play session actually more impressed with the Adams that I have than either of the two Shires. I was able to color the sound on demand with the Adams and the difference in sound between the Shires and Adams in a larger room was no comparison - the Adams opens up and fills the room, the Shires sounds like other horns. Could be the bell material, could be the room. The intonation was better on the Q41 than my Adams though, but I've been struggling with intonation since the main tuning slide repair. I have a gold lacquer Prestige on order - I look forward to seeing how this horn compares.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast