Thread: Newbie Question

1. Newbie Question

I just began learning to play the euphonium about a month ago. I found an online teacher in Santa Barbara, California (I'm in Frankfort, KY) who is teaching me how to develop my embouchure and produce that rich, dark sound I love so much.

Here's the newbie question.

For me, the thumb rest is too close to the valves. If I place the first knuckle of my thumb under the rest, my fingers hang over the pistons. I keep pulling it back so that I use only the pads of each finger.

When I hold t he euphonium, my thumb automatically falls in place at the first valve slide.

All suggestions welcome.

Your right hand should not be holding up the horn...much. So the thumb should not do any "lifting" while you play, only while you are moving the horn into position, etc. The weight is supported either by your left arm/hand or, better, by a lap pad/pillow.

Maybe a photo of your hand position would help.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Here is my hand position. Notice that my thumb extends just to the back of the 1st valve casing and touches it. In this position my thumb is a stabilizer for my hand, but it is not supporting much weight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fingers on Valves.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	561.6 KB 
ID:	8217
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden