Thread: Keyboard recommendations

Keyboard recommendations

Please forgive me if this is not the proper category for this post. I'm looking for keyboard recommendations for learning piano chords, developing right-left hand independence, bass clef notes and general music theory study. I play TC euphonium, guitar and autoharp and would like weighted keys and good sound. It would primarily be played at home, not in performance. Any recommendations?

2. Yamaha, Roland, Casio and Alesis in about that order all have Digital Pianos that would work. $500 will get you something that would feel alright under the fingers, but it wouldn't sound great. $1,000 budget will sound better, but you might still need an external amplifier or be willing to always use headphones.
    John Packer JP274 MKII S

My guitar amp should work, right?'

It'll work. Depending on what kind of guitar amp you have it may or may not sound OK. Guitar amps are generally designed to provide a colored sound that compliments the sound of the electric guitar. A PA system, keyboard amp, or to a lesser extent a bass amp, is more designed to provide a flat honest amplification.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    It'll work. Depending on what kind of guitar amp you have it may or may not sound OK. Guitar amps are generally designed to provide a colored sound that compliments the sound of the electric guitar. A PA system, keyboard amp, or to a lesser extent a bass amp, is more designed to provide a flat honest amplification.
    He's right about guitar amps; they are voiced to achieve certain sound qualities (a Vox sounds different from a Fender which sounds different from a Mesa Boogie). Some computer monitoring systems have a good flat response curve. I've got a stereo amp feeding a pair of 1970s vintage Small Advents (nice sound for the computer). I bought a Logitech computer monitoring system for my wife's computer, and it has surprisingly good sound over the entire frequency range for such an inexpensive system.

The main digital piano companies, mentioned above, all have products sufficient for your purposes at various price points. Avoid the off-brands. I believe Yamaha, Roland, Casio, and Kawai make their own actions; many of the other companies use a Fatar action (Fatar makes different actions for different price points).
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing