Thread: crooked finger

crooked finger

Does anyone elderly like me (73) have problems with a crooked my finger. My middle finger twists toward the pinky and when i play fast parts (like chromatics), my middle finger tends to slip off the valve, I tried to buy something to straighten the finger, but it would not work on my hand. I guess i have to live with it. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem

For me, it's my 1st finger, but I can usually manage it fine.

I knew one person who glued a thin layer of cork to the top of each finger button. Might help!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thx. Anything would be better than crazy glue.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by rgorscak View Post
    Does anyone elderly like me (73) have problems with a crooked my finger. My middle finger twists toward the pinky and when i play fast parts (like chromatics), my middle finger tends to slip off the valve, I tried to buy something to straighten the finger, but it would not work on my hand. I guess i have to live with it. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem
    No, but I've got a crooked uncle. IRS is after him. As for the crooked finger, another suggestion could be to wear something similar to a surgical glove (very thin and rubbery texture). That should give your fingers a little better chance of not slipping. You can also buy a bag (maybe 100) of very thin, disposable, vinyl-like gloves that people use for things like changing the oil in your car. Or dumping your RV's tanks. These might work, too. Now that I have suggested gloves, I think it would be a little bit of a drag, also. Putting something on top of the valve cap like Dave suggested might be better, but give both a shot and see. Rather than wearing a whole glove, you could just do a Michael Jackson thing and wear just a finger (the crooked one).
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

John

Are you sure your uncle is not also mine and we are related? Anyway, i will try that.

6. See an occupational therapist.
    Bring your horn to he appointment and demonstrate the exact issue.
    They'll have a bunch of ideas and at least one should work.