Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harold Brasch - Carnival of Venice

What was the date of the recording? I am wondering if this was an outdoor concert or possibly when The International Music Camp was doing performing tours. The Masonic Auditorium was built 1981. The Burdick Centre was built at 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by euphlight View Post
    What was the date of the recording? I am wondering if this was an outdoor concert or possibly when The International Music Camp was doing performing tours. The Masonic Auditorium was built 1981. The Burdick Centre was built at 1994.
    Had to be late 1950's or in the 1960's.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    The date on the record is October 1970. Harold recorded the solos over a period of six years during the weekly performances of the camp bands. Harold Brasch was a regular staff member at the International Music Camp (on the North Dakota/Canada border) from around 1960 up until his death in 1984. Where I live in South Dakota, I know several folks who attended the Camp regularly, and one of them, Bob Nelson, a retired band director, was on the staff as well. I play in a New Horizons Band in Rapid City with Bob, and he shares a lot of stories about Harold. Bob has asked me several times over the past few years to join the faculty at the International Music Camp, but I have decided not to. Harold was a regular fixture at the camp, and many young musicians came there to hear him play and study with him in Hut Number 20 (his teaching studio).
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks, John! I hope it is OK if I take the first sentences, up to "1984", into the YouTube description to educate folks more thoroughly.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Sure!
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    The date on the record is October 1970. Harold recorded the solos over a period of six years during the weekly performances of the camp bands. Harold Brasch was a regular staff member at the International Music Camp (on the North Dakota/Canada border) from around 1960 up until his death in 1984. Where I live in South Dakota, I know several folks who attended the Camp regularly, and one of them, Bob Nelson, a retired band director, was on the staff as well. I play in a New Horizons Band in Rapid City with Bob, and he shares a lot of stories about Harold. Bob has asked me several times over the past few years to join the faculty at the International Music Camp, but I have decided not to. Harold was a regular fixture at the camp, and many young musicians came there to hear him play and study with him in Hut Number 20 (his teaching studio).
    Thanks. I went to The International Music Camp from Grade 8 to Grade 12 and go there almost every year for their 4 day Adult Camp they have at the last weekend of July. I heard some stories about Harold Brasch. I've been in hut 20 taking lessons from former US Marine Band Euphonium Soloist James D. Thornton when I was in Highschool.

Thanks. I went to The International Music Camp from Grade 8 to Grade 12 and go there almost every year for their 4 day Adult Camp they have at the last weekend of July. I heard some stories about Harold Brasch. I've been in hut 20 taking lessons from former US Marine Band Euphonium Soloist James D. Thornton when I was in Highschool.
    Maybe someday we will meet up. There are still several folks from my neck of the woods in the Black Hills of South Dakota who go to the adult camp most every year, and they are always hounding Linda and me to come, too. Maybe someday...
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

Does anyone know where one might find Harold Brasch's arrangements to purchase? I'd love to play his arrangement of the Carnival of Venice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12