Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harold Brasch - Carnival of Venice

Harold Brasch - Carnival of Venice

This is with band, from Brasch's LP of the International Music Camp band. I HAD to upload this track first!! It is Harold's own arrangement as is impressive. At around 4:00 a piccolo joins in with some counterpoint to the solo, and I'm pretty sure the player must have grabbed the wrong picc (like Db vs. C) or maybe picked one up that had gotten really cold. You'll see what I mean!

https://youtu.be/l9WpFUg0LUM

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    This is with band, from Brasch's LP of the International Music Camp band. I HAD to upload this track first!! It is Harold's own arrangement as is impressive. At around 4:00 a piccolo joins in with some counterpoint to the solo, and I'm pretty sure the player must have grabbed the wrong picc (like Db vs. C) or maybe picked one up that had gotten really cold. You'll see what I mean!

https://youtu.be/l9WpFUg0LUM

I didn’t hear anything unusual there. Horrendously out of tune, stilted, and vulgar is every piccolo, surely?
    Nowt

Retired

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Funny you mention the piccolo part on this solo. I have this exact solo (obtained from Harold and the Navy Band) (I also have the LP that you have) and accompaniment, and this is the solo that I played during the final phase of a rotten cold one time. And the first section, the opening, was really rough (totally dry mouth from taking cold remedies) and caused me to go grab a trombone player's water bottle and give myself a few squirts after the opening section and during the band interlude, problem solved going forward. Moral: Always have water available when performing a solo (and I do to this day).

Anyhow, about the piccolo part, it is written that way, really. I have played this solo in 2 or 3 different places with 2 or 3 different bands, and the piccolo part always sounds the same. It is highly dissonant. Not sure if that was the intention, but that is the way it is. My latest band director wanted to change the part or eliminate it, but we kept it.

The cadenza near the end sound familiar? From one of the variations of Picchi's (arr. S. Mantia and edited by H. Brasch) Fantasie Originale. I included that in the version I played as well.
    Last edited by John Morgan; 02-21-2021 at 10:19 AM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Anyhow, about the piccolo part, it is written that way, really. I have played this solo in 2 or 3 different places with 2 or 3 different bands, and the piccolo part always sounds the same. It is highly dissonant. Not sure if that was the intention, but that is the way it is. My latest band director wanted to change the part or eliminate it, but we kept it.
    Well, that's another case of "never assume" I guess. I'd love to see the score at that point and try to figure out why it grates on me so much! Thanks for clarifying!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Mr. Brasch sounds great, but I’m with Dave on the piccolo part. Hurts my ears in parts.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Well, that's another case of "never assume" I guess. I'd love to see the score at that point and try to figure out why it grates on me so much! Thanks for clarifying!
    Wish granted, Dave!! Although the score is a condensed score, without the piccolo part. So I copied the pertinent page of the euphonium solo and the piccolo part so you could examine them. If you are looking at the euphonium part, the piccolo comes in at the end of the eighth measure after F. I didn't have anything to do for a couple hours, and this seemed like a fun project!

Euphonium Part:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Euphonium Part.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	8190

Piccolo Part:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piccolo Part.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	8191

And here is a video of a MIDI compilation I did of the two parts (not great quality, I held the camera while the MIDI piece played, but it works). It is also slowed down for two reasons, 1) so you can hear the parts better, and 2) to spread out the pain on your ears:

Last edited by John Morgan; 02-21-2021 at 04:12 PM.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Thanks, John! That helps clear it up. It is at the very least "dangerous" writing, IMHO, because of the diversity of range and color. The live version still sounds worse, but I think a cold instrument could have accounted for that. Perhaps that line was inspired by "The Elephant and the Flea" (or "Fly" in some versions), but my first instinct as a conductor would be to have the flute try it, so it would sound an octave lower.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Thanks, John! That helps clear it up. It is at the very least "dangerous" writing, IMHO, because of the diversity of range and color. The live version still sounds worse, but I think a cold instrument could have accounted for that. Perhaps that line was inspired by "The Elephant and the Flea" (or "Fly" in some versions), but my first instinct as a conductor would be to have the flute try it, so it would sound an octave lower.
    In "Bolero," Ravel scored a passage played by winds in the middle range, with the same rhythm played by flute (or piccolo, I forget) at a fixed interval above. The idea (whether scientifically derived or just instinctual by Ravel's extraordinary ear) was to strengthen one of the upper harmonics of the melody note, thus created a new instrument (i.e., the combo of the lower and upper voices) that had a ratio of overtones unlike any instrument that existed (this works with flutes and piccolos, since their tone is closest to a pure sine wave). Looking at part of this piccolo part, it seems like Brasch was doing something similar. If any of you have ever played a Hammond organ, it creates its different sound by choosing the ratio of overtones using a drawbar interface.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

At that wide a spread, minor thirds and any sixths will take on a dissonant quality, even if perfectly in tune. Strong overtones of a major 3rd and perfect fifth from the lower instrument will create audible seconds against the fundamental of the higher instrument. This is extremely noticeable when the euph is playing a low A against the picc C. The C# overtone is grating against the picc note quite audibly to me.

So, that's about 80% of the grating quality in Brasch recording. The other part is that the piccolo negotiated the first couple of bars of the solo very poorly, missing several intervals before settling in.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

And a great tone from that New Standard.

Reminds me a bit of Mr. Baglin's playing.

GD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast