Thread: K&G MP Comparison

K&G MP Comparison

Friends,

Recently I was offered a chance to purchase a like-new K&G Gold Plated mouthpiece that incorporated the newer changes K&G made sometime in 2019. I had previously been playing on a secondhand (purchased from this forum) silver plated K&G 3.5D which I frequently describe as the best mouthpiece I've ever played. I was curious to see how the 2019 changes stacked up and want to share my thoughts now that I've had the mp for about 6 weeks.

Incidentally, my first reaction to the newer K&G mp was no reaction at all. It felt no different, played similarly and initially didn't offer much of a difference compared to the older model, as far as I could tell. This was welcome news as I didn't want the mp to play too differently.

After six weeks of play however, the newer mouthpiece feels like it is more skewed towards the Denis Wick line of mouthpieces. The rim is sharper on this newer mp, cutting into my endurance and leaving me fatigued, something the old mp didn't really do. Because of this sharpness, I think, the mouthpiece overall feels a tad bigger than the previous 3.5G - maybe becoming more aligned with the Wick sizing. The older mp series tended to run "smaller" than advertised, allowed a 4 size player like me to thrive on the 3.5D. This newer one feels a tad bigger still, something that might open the 3.5 size to 3 players or to 4 players really wanting a size in between a 3 and 4.

I've been struggling with interval accuracy on this new mp, something I felt was a practicing issue as I've begun studying the Sparke No 1 Concerto. The opening arpeggio up to the Concert G I could not secure on the newer mouthpiece. Went back to the older one and the interval is there, securely through both statements of the motif. I think this is, again, because of familiarity with the older mouthpiece and maybe my chops not being quite up to the task of a (now) bigger mouthpiece.

I'm probably going to keep the newer mp for backup purposes but will be switching back to the old model. Even if my old model was damaged, I feel I could work up to this model given enough time.

K&G is working on more changes to these mouthpieces but I am no longer interested in trying them. I'm glad I found my forever mouthpiece!
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

I'm curious - are you referring to the standard 3.5, or is it the newish 3.5 masters series?

I didn't realize they changed the standard 3.5 if that's what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    Friends,

Recently I was offered a chance to purchase a like-new K&G Gold Plated mouthpiece that incorporated the newer changes K&G made sometime in 2019. I had previously been playing on a secondhand (purchased from this forum) silver plated K&G 3.5D which I frequently describe as the best mouthpiece I've ever played. I was curious to see how the 2019 changes stacked up and want to share my thoughts now that I've had the mp for about 6 weeks.

Incidentally, my first reaction to the newer K&G mp was no reaction at all. It felt no different, played similarly and initially didn't offer much of a difference compared to the older model, as far as I could tell. This was welcome news as I didn't want the mp to play too differently.

After six weeks of play however, the newer mouthpiece feels like it is more skewed towards the Denis Wick line of mouthpieces. The rim is sharper on this newer mp, cutting into my endurance and leaving me fatigued, something the old mp didn't really do. Because of this sharpness, I think, the mouthpiece overall feels a tad bigger than the previous 3.5G - maybe becoming more aligned with the Wick sizing. The older mp series tended to run "smaller" than advertised, allowed a 4 size player like me to thrive on the 3.5D. This newer one feels a tad bigger still, something that might open the 3.5 size to 3 players or to 4 players really wanting a size in between a 3 and 4.

I've been struggling with interval accuracy on this new mp, something I felt was a practicing issue as I've begun studying the Sparke No 1 Concerto. The opening arpeggio up to the Concert G I could not secure on the newer mouthpiece. Went back to the older one and the interval is there, securely through both statements of the motif. I think this is, again, because of familiarity with the older mouthpiece and maybe my chops not being quite up to the task of a (now) bigger mouthpiece.

I'm probably going to keep the newer mp for backup purposes but will be switching back to the old model. Even if my old model was damaged, I feel I could work up to this model given enough time.

K&G is working on more changes to these mouthpieces but I am no longer interested in trying them. I'm glad I found my forever mouthpiece!
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

I didn't realize they changed the standard 3.5 if that's what you mean.[/QUOTE]

There was an upgrade in early 2019 that made slight changes from the standard. ( Here's my comment on that: http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...G)-Mouthpieces
    " I've testing the new K&G 3D mouthpiece for a few days and I have to say that I'm just excited about it. On a visual level there are no significant differences compared to the old one: with a more in-depth analysis the new weighs a few grams less, slightly deeper with a slightly less cup-shaped profile, a little more V profile of the cup with the throat a couple of tenths smaller. As a result it is easier to play with it, the attack of the notes is safer, the high register is very easy to obtain: I arrive effortlessly at F, and the C#, a sore point on my Besson, is no longer a problem. Compared to the previous the sound is slightly darker: with the old I get a brighter more incisive sound. I can say that this is the best euphonium mouthpiece I've ever played with. I congratulate Dennis for the passion he puts into his work to make the life of us musicians easier and more efficient.") Actually, as JakeGuilbo points out, the rim feels wider than the previous one ( in my case 3D), which I don't mind that at all because I can express myself better with larger cup diameter MPs than most others players.
    Last edited by franz; 03-13-2021 at 02:26 AM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.