Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conn Constellation 25i

Who can restore a euphonium?

2. It will not diminish the tone quality to refinish the bell of a 25i. A good shop can de-dent the bell (Nbarcisi had Osmun music do it when he bought my 24i/25i) and refinish. The lacquer will be a bit brighter than the original finish but still attractive.
    Last edited by daruby; 02-18-2021 at 08:49 PM.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

any idea of what the cost to completely restore a fair conditioned one would cost including putting on new lacquer and removing some dents in hard to reach places? I am missing the rod for the tuning slide and one screw. Just wanted to know if my screw is loose thinking about restoring one!

4. Quote Originally Posted by rgorscak View Post
    any idea of what the cost to completely restore a fair conditioned one would cost including putting on new lacquer and removing some dents in hard to reach places? I am missing the rod for the tuning slide and one screw. Just wanted to know if my screw is loose thinking about restoring one!
    I do not really know the full cost to restore, but it will be more than ANY Connstellation is worth.

A complete re-lacquer job requires stripping the old lacquer, polishing the entire horn, cleaning and re-lacquering the entire horn. The slide parts you are missing include the nickel plated thumb attachment (made of brass then nickel plated and lacquered), plunger rod, spring, threaded end cap, nuts and felt stops, plus the thumb screws for locking the tuning slide. I suppose these could be fabricated, but would be fairly expensive.

My recommendation would be to repair the horn with focus on dents and valve sealing/action, do light refinishing on a spot basis (using a good technician than can tint the lacquer to match the original) and play the horn as a fixed tuning slide rather than adjustable.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Thanks for your advice. i am done now with my research! I do have a brand new Besson Prestige 2052, so i will just use the old horn for practicing at the office when things are slow. I bought the upright bell just so i can insert a silencing mute so as not to disturb my employees or other offices in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by daruby View Post
    I do not really know the full cost to restore, but it will be more than ANY Connstellation is worth.
    I think Doug's math statement is totally solid. That's not to say that some people wouldn't choose to restore one anyway. If you love the Connstellation and have the expendable income, I imagine you could spend $3,000 (arbitrary number I chose) and be happy with the horn.

When I look at Facebook's marketplace I keep seeing sponsored listings for classic cars, some of which "speak to me". But none of them would be as practical in Minnesota as a daily driver than any number of inexpensive new cars, or recent vintage used cars. I'll probably never feel I can afford to have one, but many folks do and they love it as a hobby.

So beyond the fact of life that Doug expressed, no one hear can answer if you should go all out on a restoration. As long as you realize you'll probably not be able to resell it for what you invested, you might be very happy with a $3k Conn. (There are also many people who don't understand people buying euphoniums that cost $7k-$10k when you can own such nice new models for $1300-$3000. But I'm glad I have my Adams!)

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Dave
    I am still investigating it. The horn is in way better condition that you would expect. Everything works very well. There are just a few small dents and mostly just scratches and some missing parts. I have communicated with Osmun Music and have sent pictures plus have purchased the 25i bell. It is funny, but the louse horn listed for $995 on one web site was listed for $78 on another web site. They both have the same serial number and the parts that i am missing are on the one listed. For $78, it was worth buying it to see (and the shipping was free).

Maybe having the same horn as i had when i was young will wipe away all those years! Anyway, i am going to send the horn to Osmun once i get the new bell next week and ask what they can do. It does not hurt to ask.

I want to thank everyone for their help.

Rich

Congratulations rgorscak! Believe me, I understand your enthusiasm for the Connstellation. Hoping you’ll be enjoying many happy rehearsals and concerts with yours!

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    ...When I look at Facebook's marketplace I keep seeing sponsored listings for classic cars, some of which "speak to me". But none of them would be as practical in Minnesota as a daily driver than any number of inexpensive new cars, or recent vintage used cars. I'll probably never feel I can afford to have one, but many folks do and they love it as a hobby...
    Well, now I have to share some pictures of a car (maybe not an old classic, but surely a real icon) that we just procured around Thanksgiving. Saw it at the Ford store in Sturgis, SD and it was owned by the owner of the dealership, who bought it in 2012 and then stored it. It had 200+ miles on it when we got it, and it was and is perfect. The car: a 2012 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca (only 750 made - it is numbered in the engine compartment). It is the coolest car I have ever owned in over 70 years. And I live in South Dakota, so it won't get driven much in the winter months. But what a car. You know it is a race car the moment you start it and the moment you start moving. Totally non-essential purchase, but worth taking a big dent in my savings. We are not independently wealthy, so this was a huge expense. Sort of like buying a $10K euphonium when you can get a nice one for under $2k as Dave says. But sometimes in life, you just go for it, because you realize you won't be here forever, and why not?

A few pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mustang2.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	8184 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mustang14.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	8185 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mustang15.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	8186

Now, admittedly, a Mustang doesn't have much to do with euphoniums and tubas. But it does show that euphonium players can have a life and also enjoy things non-euphonium. I do though listen to euphonium music in the Mustang on the CD player.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Well, for our 40th wedding anniversary a few years ago (My wife will not let me say how long ago it was), i bought my wife a 67 Pontiac GTO exactly like they one she had when she was 17. Yes, we tend to pay more for things we like from the past.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast