Thread: Conn Constellation 25i

Conn Constellation 25i

After 50 years hiatus, I finally started to play the Euphonium (and other brass instruments) again. I bought a new Besson Prestige 2052, but i am trying to find the Euphonium i used to play when i was going to major in music. It was a Conn Constellation upright and i believe it was a 25i. I saw one a few months ago but did not act quick enough. If anyone knows one in good condition being sold, i would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

2. There appears to be one on Ebay right now. However, I would never buy from that seller unless you understand the condition will be grossly misrepresented. My horn came from there and required a record amount of repairs, the worst of which was a huge hole in the leadpipe covered with silver tape to conceal it. I avoid that seller now. Too bad because they frequently have something I'm interested in. Best of luck to you in your search.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

I assume this is the horn Richard mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CG-Conn-Con...r/264571108702

I really like the Connstellation and will always list good samples when I see them. I chose not to list this one because it looks pretty rough. I could be restored (including finding a making the trigger piece that's missing), but with a price approaching $1k, this one seemed a bit overpriced considering the cost of fixing it up.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I did see that one a while ago and did not want to pursue it. I did not even realize it was a 25i. I will continue to look. I am actually have a Conn Constellation forward facing bell also (have to look up the model number). I find that when i play the Besson, a lot of notes are out of tune even though i have been practicing for over 2 years now at least 2 hours a day. I have not had a chance to play with any band yet. In fact, i was scheduled to play with my first band last March. Guess what came up! I do get frustrated trying to play in tune. I did find that i seem to be more in tune with the old Conn. Back in the 60's (my high school and college days), i used a smaller bored horn and definitely could play in tune and had the ability to hit high notes (high C above high C). With the Besson i struggle a few notes past E above C! I got a Bach Bass Trumpet and definitely have an easier time with high notes (although i doubt i ever get the range i used to have). I will continue to look and also hope that the bands here in Orlando start to play again soon.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I assume this is the horn Richard mentioned:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CG-Conn-Con...r/264571108702

I really like the Connstellation and will always list good samples when I see them. I chose not to list this one because it looks pretty rough. I could be restored (including finding a making the trigger piece that's missing), but with a price approaching $1k, this one seemed a bit overpriced considering the cost of fixing it up.
    I took a look at that horn. The seller says among other things: "...but overall it is in really nice shape..." Really??!! That horn is a beater, and Dave was charitable in saying that "it looked pretty rough". Some things just plain amaze me. At $959 you could pay a few hundred more and get a brand new Wessex Dolce or an ACB Doubler. I don't understand why anyone would buy this horn at all, unless they wanted this exact horn and planned to restore it.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)