Thread: Wooden Mouthpieces

1. Wooden Mouthpieces

I've seen some posts mentioning wooden euphonium mouthpieces, but haven't found any places that sell them.

I'm interested in the idea. What are people's thoughts on them? Has anyone found a good vendor for them?

I vote for Lignum Vitae!

(but that would be a DIY)

Dennis

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Barry,

Have you tried one of these or heard one played on a euphonium or trombone? I am curious.

John
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I don't believe I have one of JC's anymore, but I used to -- and I have some other wooden mouthpieces I use on serpent. On euphonium it's a little softer and less focused, maybe a little buzzy. It's mostly the shape and not the material.
    --
    Barry

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Thanks, Barry. I sent a message to JC and got a reply back. I did not realize that the mouthpieces (at least the ones he makes) don't really have a taper on them, and that you have to wrap the shank with thread or floss to fit your particular horn. I am interested, though, in trying one of these mouthpieces to see what kind of effect I can get on my euphonium (now that doesn't sound like me at all).

I also might be interested in obtaining a serpent, because as I always say, you can never have too many instruments.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I suggest a waxed linen thread like they'd use to sew leather. There's a diagram on the Berger serpents page that shows how to wrap it. https://serpents.ch/sample-page/mundstueck/?lang=en

As far as a serpent, the early music shop in the UK makes a fiberglass model which isn't bad. https://earlymusicshop.com/collectio...rly-music-shop The biggest issues with it are 1. it's heavy compared to a wood one and 2. some of the notes focus too well which makes it kind of uneven with the notes that have poor focus. A wood serpent is going to be more evenly flexible. That said, serpent is all in the embouchure and you get just a little bit of help from the instrument! If you wanted to get a really nice instrument, I suggest Pierre Ribo http://www.serpent-ribo.com/?lang=en . I visited Pierre in Brussels last year and he is THE NICEST guy you could imagine and his instruments are fantastic.
    --
    Barry