Thread: Cleaning accessory comparable to the Quick Horn Rinse?

Cleaning accessory comparable to the Quick Horn Rinse?

Hello!

I can't seem to find the Quick Horn Rinse Sudsor that has the large bore attachment. I understand that the owner has passed away so I am wondering if purchasing the sudsor with the small bore attachment will work fine on a medium shank Willson 2900 or if something like the Meinlschmidt Hydro Jet M1, found on the Hickey's Music Center website, will work just as well. About two baths ago, I used an orange colored brass soap that has left a nasty orange residue on the inside of my horn that I just can't seem to get rid of, no matter how long I soak the horn in basic Dawn dish soap. The residue shows up when I empty water through water keys, from slides without water keys, and sometimes shows up on the valves themselves. So my next step is to purchase one of these mentioned cleaning products to help blast the inside of the horn a bit to help remove the residue.

Any advice is appreciated!
    Last edited by Euph95; 02-13-2021 at 03:08 PM.

2. Sounds like the Messerschmitt model might be the weapon to use against the Agent Orange. It is pricey but if it works ... the Horn Rinse functions can be duplicated with some ingenuity on your part, so the other product would be where I would put my $$. FWIW.
    John Packer JP274 MKII S

I believe that QHR is still in business. My unit came with the tapered black tube on the end of the clear vinyl tube as pictured on their website. It is made to fit any bore. http://stores.quickhornrinse.com/
    Last edited by enhite; 02-22-2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: clarity

4. The QHR site is still up, but I don't know if you can actually place an order for anything. In any case, only the 'small bore' version of the QHR remains on their site and on the sites of affiliate dealers like Hickey's or The Horn Guy's. 'Maybe' the 'small bore' version can work in a Euphonium, but if that is so ... why is there a 'large bore' version? Is it only for Tuba's? I'm not willing to risk $40 to find out. I've had my JP274 for a few months and I'm over the 'towel in the bell' to keep the water pressure confined to the inside of the horn thing. Here is what I plan to do: First thing, the actual sudser of the QHR is simply an automotive version repurposed for QHR. In fact here is the exact sudser used in the 1st Gen QHR products. I haven't identified the model of sudser used in 2nd Gen versions but for my purposes it doesn't matter. Any sudser that has 3/4" hose fittings for both the inlet and outlets side of the sudser is fair game. All of them get meh reviews on Amazon so I'm going to go for this one. It's not the cheapest, but all of the cheapest models have an integral sprayer head that would have to be wasted and there is no guarantee that removing the sprayer would reveal 3/4" garden hose threads underneath. In fact, there is argument as to whether anything can be attached to the linked sudser without a proprietary adapter from Carrand Inc. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. This sudser definitely has 3/4" threads for both inlet and outlet but costs twice as much. Might be worth it.

QHR uses a 3/4" hose adapter and attaches a short section of vinyl tubing to the proprietary tapered section that goes into the leadpipe. Just eyeballing some garden hose I have in the basement informs an opinion that the leadpipe of my euph would just about fit INTO the hose, and a leak free connection would simply require a common hardware store hose clamp. The same hardware store probably has remnant garden hoses in short lengths. I have one about 4' long I got for $7 last year. It has female threads on one end, male threads on the other. The male threads would need to be cut off. I don't have any snips that tough. Maybe a hacksaw? But that's my plan. As you can see, the identical functionality of the QHR can be duplicated with $15 to $20 and some sweat equity. But simply pouring a couple tablespoons of Dawn detergent into the leadpipe and connecting a 2' section of gardenhose ($0 to ~$10) to the leadpipe with a hose clamp and flowing enough water through the instrument to reach the bell end. Soak. Then flow water through the instrument for several minutes until clear ... ... sounds good to me and eliminates the cost of the sudser that, according to some reviews doesn't work all that well. I'm going to try the super low tech way first. FWIW.
    John Packer JP274 MKII S

Quote Originally Posted by Euph95 View Post
    Hello!

I can't seem to find the Quick Horn Rinse Sudsor that has the large bore attachment. I understand that the owner has passed away so I am wondering if purchasing the sudsor with the small bore attachment will work fine on a medium shank Willson 2900 or if something like the Meinlschmidt Hydro Jet M1, found on the Hickey's Music Center website, will work just as well. About two baths ago, I used an orange colored brass soap that has left a nasty orange residue on the inside of my horn that I just can't seem to get rid of, no matter how long I soak the horn in basic Dawn dish soap. The residue shows up when I empty water through water keys, from slides without water keys, and sometimes shows up on the valves themselves. So my next step is to purchase one of these mentioned cleaning products to help blast the inside of the horn a bit to help remove the residue.

Any advice is appreciated!
    I would suggest pouring about a quart (or however much you can get in) of Simple Green Solution down your lead pipe while while working your valves. That way it gets into all the tubing. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so and then flush it out with a garden hose down the bell or one of the hoses that go into the lead pipe. In my opinion, the sudsing devices do not work that well.

Mike

6. I just purchased a QHR a couple of weeks ago. Unless that has changed, they are still in business.

Reluctant as I am to toot my own horn, so to speak, you might be interested in taking a look at this:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...621#post137621
    Gary Merrill
    Wessex EEb Bass tuba (DW 3XL or 2XL)
    Mack Brass Compensating Euph (DE N106, Euph J, J9 euph)
    Amati Oval Euph (DE 104, Euph J, J6 euph)
    1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba (with std US receiver), Kelly 25
    Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone (DE LB K/K10/112/14 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R)
    1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Olds #3)