Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mouthpiece for JP274

1. Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hi Joseph, with apologies to my friend Richard for the moderate derailment of his thread, I noticed that you are now playing a Shires Q41... Thus, I would like to ask you a couple of questions:

*What made you prefer Shires euphoniums over their established competitors?

* What made you prefer and adopt Q41 over its Q40 brother?

* Have you tried the factory-supplied 5MB mouthpiece with your Q41.... How do you like it.... The good/bad/different/etc... And what makes you still prefer 51D on Q41 over 5MB?

Best, Guido
    “What made you prefer Shires euphoniums over their established competitors?”

Before deciding on the Shires, I tested many other horns. My favorite was the Wilson 2900 that I played at Baltimore Brass. At the time, there was no way we could afford the horn. Flash forward about a year, I see numerous established players in military bands and overseas switching to the Shires horns. I was very impressed with how they sounded, compared with the Wilson horns. I also looked at the value aspect. We were able to find a display model, bringing down the price to a little less than $5000; this was a very good deal for a test-driven professional horn. With other brands, especially Wilson, you’d be hard-pressed to find a heavily used horn for less than that! I believe the Shires holds it’s own very well against the Wilson. I can’t find much that I would change about the Q41.

“What made you prefer and adopt Q41 over its Q40 brother?”

Exposure to the instrument. I haven’t actually had the chance to play a Q40. I’m sure it’s a great option for those who want a slightly larger horn.

“Have you tried the factory-supplied 5MB mouthpiece with your Q41.... How do you like it.... The good/bad/different/etc... And what makes you still prefer 51D on Q41 over 5MB?”

I did try the 5MB when I unboxed the horn, and the 51D came in the mail a few minutes after. I was much more used to the 51D after having used it on the JP, and it felt even more at home on the Shires. I have given the 5MB a try a few other times, but I always went back to the Schilke. Perhaps I could do a more in-depth comparison. I’m pondering the idea of doing a full comparison video of my JP and my Shires.

I hope this helps. I might make a thread soon about the full comparison.

Best
    Joseph

2. For an update to this thread, I went back to my local store to try the JP274 again with a 6 1/2AL mouthpiece. The mouthpiece in small shank has never been my favorite. This was my first time playing the large shank version. The JP274 seemed to accentuate the shortcomings I've found with the mouthpiece. Notes were less centered in all ranges but especially bad in the upper range. Plus there was a certain coarseness to the tone I did not like. The horn also did not sit well in my hands when playing.

After talking to Guido, see above comments, I asked if they had the Shires Q40 as well as the Q41. I loved the Q41 that I tried there. But no, they didn't even know about the Q40.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Thank you so much Joseph, it would be truly fabulous if you could post a youtube contrasting your Packer JP274 with your new Shires Q41... Particularly if you could also feature both 51D and the Shires mouthpieces.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Meantime, only slightly OT, I have created a thread for discussing perceivable differences between the Shires Q40 and Q41, which includes a link to a Youtube where Alexis at Shires demonstrates and contrasts the two models:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...1#.YEuSpb8o53h

Hope to see you there!

G.
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12