Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randefalk Mouthpiece

1. Randefalk Mouthpiece

Hello everyone,

I have not seen the new Randefalk Mouthpieces mentioned much on this page and I am currently in the process of testing a Randefalk R3S and I have been pleasantly surprised by it.

I was curious to know if anyone else has testing this superb range of mouthpieces yet?

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Yes, I own one. Also a R3S.
    It is a good mouthpiece, but I couldn't get used to the rim profile. It was too round for me so my endurance would suffer from it really quickly. My girlfriend tried it out and she actually uses it as her go-to mouthpiece. I find their concept about combining different cup shapes very interesting though, and indeed, the actual cup shape of the mouthpiece is unlike anything else. They also have a HUGE backbore and that's something you really notice!
    While a bit on the expensive side (I paid 180 euros for a gold-plated brass mouthpiece buying directly from Patrik a couple of years ago) Randefalk also offers different sizes rim shapes and materials for their mouthpieces.
    Last edited by Vito; 02-11-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Typo
    Music educator - Brass Instruments Enthusiast - Euphonium Player
    2019 Besson Sovereign 967T-2 - Alliance DC3

3. They are very responsive to questions. We had a conversation sometime back and if I was willing to spend the bucks, it would be a good one to try.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    Yes, I own one. Also a R3S.
    It is a good mouthpiece, but I couldn't get used to the rim profile. It was too round for me so my endurance would suffer from it really quickly. My girlfriend tried it out and she actually uses it as her go-to mouthpiece. I find their concept about combining different cup shapes very interesting though, and indeed, the actual cup shape of the mouthpiece is unlike anything else. They also have a HUGE backbore and that's something you really notice!
    While a bit on the expensive side (I paid 180 euros for a gold-plated brass mouthpiece buying directly from Patrik a couple of years ago) Randefalk also offers different sizes rim shapes and materials for their mouthpieces.

The R3S is the one I’ve been looking at. The current vogue seems to be for very flat rim, I guess for endurance purposes, but I prefer a very rounded rim and up until I heard about these, the Bach 4GB had been the only option. If I ever get back to work I might take a punt on one. The large backbone does sound perfect because I’m uninterested in Super Fs and Gs and the bigger the noise the better!
    Nowt

Retired

5. Hello everyone,

I really do appreciate your responses, I have tested it for a short amount of time and I have been really impressed by what I have found.

I hope to release some more thoughts to this mouthpiece in the near future.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

The current vogue seems to be for very flat rim, I guess for endurance purposes, but I prefer a very rounded rim and up until I heard about these, the Bach 4GB had been the only option.
    There are some more options out there if you really have a preference for rounder rims. There is this French brass technician and mouthpiece maker by the name of Thierry Khim that's that also makes a euphonium mouthpiece with an extremely round rim. I own one. Very dense and heavy mouthpiece with a deep cup and very round rim. Their website is http://www.musicservice.fr/index.php/embouchure-thim.
    A more recent addition to euphonium mouthpieces are Mercer & Barker with their MB5 & MB5F mouthpiece. I have not seen or tried one in person but they offer essentially the same mouthpiece with a flat rim (MB5F) and a round rim (MB5) profile.
    Randefalk describes the R3S as "Shape of rim is flat on highest peak", more like a plateau. The R3 (without "s") is described as "Shape of rim is rounded and more supportive".

7. Hello Vito,

I will have to check these mouthpieces out.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Hi Micah,
    If you'd like a go on that Thierry Khim mouthpiece I can sell you mine. I have not used in ages and it'll be far cheaper than a new one.

Kind regards

9. Hello Vito,

I will have a think about this and get back to you.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

10. I have a gold plated R3S that is hardly used.

PM if interested
    Last edited by DutchEupho; 02-19-2021 at 03:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast