Thread: Does anyone know the German company Thomann?

1. Does anyone know the German company Thomann?

They sell, under their own name, many baritone horns. I am considering buying a 3+1 baritone horn and Thomann has one at a very reasonable price.

Little Jimmy

When I took my German band to Europe a couple of years back, we rented our low brass from Thomann and got their house brand instruments. They were very reminiscent of the other basic Chinese clones I've seen. Basically, a step or two below Wessex or John Packer.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

Thomann is a German music instrument & gear company that also sells brass instruments under their own name. The horns are indeed Chinese made stencils. From first-hand experience: they are ok, not great.
    Music educator - Brass Instruments Enthusiast - Euphonium Player
    2019 Besson Sovereign 967T-2 - Alliance DC3

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJimmy View Post
    They sell, under their own name, many baritone horns. I am considering buying a 3+1 baritone horn and Thomann has one at a very reasonable price.

Little Jimmy
    Have a look at musicstore.com. I bought my euphonium there. It is a JinBao 1150 stencil horn branded as Monzani MZEP-1150L for the lacquer finish (which is what I bought) or Monzani MZEP-1150S for the silver finish. JinBao 1150 is what most (though not all) of the rebranded 3+1 compensating Chinese made euphoniums are that are sold by various companies. Some of those companies sell enhanced versions of that basic instrument. The enhancements could include things like tighter tolerances, enhanced QC, possibly some enhanced specifications, and possibly a few other enhancements. My instrument is virtually identical my euphonium professor's euphonium. He bought his from one of the well-known re-branding companies for a LOT more money than I paid.

The JinBao 1150 is basically a Yamaha 642 clone, not the current Neo version but the original 642. There were a few (very few) minor (very minor) issues with my horn that were easily corrected by me. For me the cost difference made the difference between getting a horn and not getting a horn, even when compared to the relatively modest price of the other JinBao clone vendors.

I looked into importing a horn directly from China, but it was actually less expensive to buy it from musicstore than trying to import on directly from China, and a lot less risky too. For total price you are looking at something in the neighborhood of $570, including shipping. An important note: because the shipping destination is outside of the European Union you won't have to pay value added tax, and that saves a lot of money. Theoretically there could be some import tax to pay for it to enter the US, but I didn't have to pay that. I think there is something like a $800 exemption before you would have to pay import tax. You should be prepared for shipping to take a little longer than the nominally quoted shipping time.

Some on this list may disagree with the idea of buying from a vendor other than some of the recommended vendors mentioned here, though I have not heard any specific criticism of this vendor. As for me, I am extremely happy with my purchase. I figure that compared to a Yamaha it's 90 to 95% of the horn for 10% of the price.

As for Thomann, I don't know that company. I did look at their web page, and their prices are quite a bit higher than musicstore.com. I don't know who makes their euphoniums, but there is a better than even chance that they are made by JinBao.

One thing you should be aware of. If you buy a stencil horn it is highly recommended that you thoroughly clean the bore and the valves when you get the horn. I did this in the bathtub with mild detergent and mild temperature, and some brushes for whatever areas of the bore I could reach. Also, when you do this line the tub with towels to protect the finish. That's what I did. There was a big bathtub ring after I did this because there was quite a bit of manufacturing residue left in the horn. After you do this, then clean and oil the valves very frequently for the first few months. This will make sure that your valves wear in properly and be very slick. If you buy a Yamaha you probably won't need to worry about doing all of this, or at least so I am told.

I should close with the question, are you looking for a baritone horn or a euphonium, or would either one work for you? I have framed the above discussion in terms of ephonium. Musicstore does sell oval German-style baritones as well (3 valve or 4 valve-non-compensating). They are actually a little less expensive than their compensating euphoniums.

Just as an FYI…as far as I can tell, the Monzani (musicstore) horn is exactly the same as the comparable Schiller Elite.

The “tenor horns” sold by Thomann are exactly the same as the Schiller ones….so I assume the Thomann euphoniums are same as the Monzani and Schiller ones as well.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

6. Hi,
    I have to admit I own a few euphoniums, including the Thomann 906. To me, the 906 seems very similar to the Schiller Elite V. I wonder if the Elite V is also 11lbs like the 906? The lower Thomann models 902 & 904 have very similar specs and appearance to the JP274, with the exception of the trigger on the 904.

The John Packer horns seem to be completely different animals. Manufactured in Taiwan and (at least are claimed to be) from a dedicated John Packer factory.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

8. Ok, thanks Larry.
    I think I've been mistaken to think that all JinBao euphoniums are 642 clones. I wish I knew the history of JinBao!

Quote Originally Posted by ivanhouston View Post
    Ok, thanks Larry.
    I think I've been mistaken to think that all JinBao euphoniums are 642 clones. I wish I knew the history of JinBao!
    I think all Jinbao euphs ARE 642 clones. (Schiller, Thomann, Monzani, ACB (Doubler), Dillion, Mack Brass, Radiant Brass, etc)

it’s just that John Packer horns are made in Taiwan (NOT China-proper)….and not made by Jinbao. (Most believe they are fashioned after the Besson Sovreigns.)

I’ve only been back active on this forum for a couple of months…and it seems there has been significant knowledge gains in this area during that time.
    Last edited by iMav; 11-27-2022 at 03:39 PM.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.