Thread: Help needed! Buying a euphonium

1. Help needed! Buying a euphonium

Hello! I am new to this forum and I have a question.

I am a euphonium player in a local brass band and play music for about 12 years now. I want to buy a new instrument but because I don't have a lot of knowledge about instruments themselves I hope that someone here can help me! Because I am still a student with a limited budget (and I wanted a front bell) I googled and found the following instrument:
    https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/muziek-...reviousPage=lr (It is reserved by me)

The seller says it is from the 700 series (to be specific 764). Does someone have experience with this instrument? Does it qualify as a good instrument for a brass band?

Thanks in advance!

2. This is a non-compensating 3 valve bell front dating to 1985. While the quality should be ok, it is more suited to marching band rather than brass band. The lack of the 4th valve will limit its suitability, and most brass bands will be populated with bell up instead of bell front horns. Getting this horn to blend well with front projection sound could be problematic. I don't know the price, but at the lower end of the market, new 4 valve compensating horns can be had from the likes of Wessex for under 2000 Euros.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Ditto what Doug said. If you are currently playing in this brass band, what kind of horn are you playing now? What is the other euphonium(s) playing on? Is he/she experienced? Have you talked with him/her?

A three valve, bell front is most clearly not the type of horn you would want for a brass band. A 4 valve compensating horn would be the ideal horn.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Hi Fernaoke,
    Just like Doug said, the lack of a fourth valve could and the front bell limit the function of this particular instrument in a brass band. I would suggest you to look out for a four valve, compensating or non-compensating model.
    While Chinese manufactured brass instruments like the Wessex check all those boxes at a very low price, I am convinced that much better euphoniums can be bought second hand.
    Buying your first instrument is an investment into your future playing and something you should not cheap out on.
    I noticed you are located in The Netherlands so if you'd like to ask for advice from someone in the relative neighbourhood (and in Dutch), please do not hesitate to reach out. I also have a compensating Besson euphonium (Sovereign) for sale if that might interest you.
    Kind regards,
    Vito
    Last edited by Vito; 02-10-2021 at 05:02 AM. Reason: typo
    Music educator - Brass Instruments Enthusiast - Euphonium Player
    2019 Besson Sovereign 967T-2 - Alliance DC3

Agreed. Bell-front instruments are only really useful for marching, and even then they are uncommon even in the typical fanfare orchestras when they march. I have also seen a laquered 1984/1985 Besson Sovereign for sale on Marktplaats for just under €3000 which could be an option, but you would have to ask for the seller if you could try it out, even though it looks to be in VERY good condition: https://link.marktplaats.nl/a1362404196
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Quote Originally Posted by TheJH View Post
    Agreed. Bell-front instruments are only really useful for marching, and even then they are uncommon even in the typical fanfare orchestras when they march. I have also seen a laquered 1984/1985 Besson Sovereign for sale on Marktplaats for just under €3000 which could be an option, but you would have to ask for the seller if you could try it out, even though it looks to be in VERY good condition: https://link.marktplaats.nl/a1362404196
    The instrument you linked has some obvious signs of some major repair. The stay between the top bow and bell has been resolderd as well as the stay between the 3rd valve slide and the bugle. Several others are dented inwards into the bugle. The lacquer on the bell also shows markings of dent repair. The instrument also shows a lot of minor dents, even in the leadpipe. Sorry to be that guy who is fun at parties, but this is in my opinion absolutely NOT good condition.
    Last edited by Vito; 02-10-2021 at 04:56 AM.
    Music educator - Brass Instruments Enthusiast - Euphonium Player
    2019 Besson Sovereign 967T-2 - Alliance DC3

7. Thank you all for your great help and advice! I am going to reconsider and read through some more forum posts before buying an instrument. Thanks!