Thread: New Music Commission Query

1. New Music Commission Query

Hello everyone,

I have been on a bit of a commissiong spree recently commissiong a number of new works for Euphonium and it has got me thinking about the different styles and genre's of Euphonium Solo's which are out there and it has encouraged me to try and define the parameter's of a potential successful Euphonium Solo.

This has lead me to explore some of my favourite pieces of music and I have been curious if something such as the following style of music could be recreated for Euphonium - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNu3...pTXpL&index=22.

I have quite an interest in trying to create an mysterious atmosphere and I have been really interested in Tom Davoren's recent work entitled 'Legacy' (the first couple of minutes) and I absolutely love the chord structure with the use of the tam which to me feels like the mist rising in the dark. I would love to recreate this in a piece of music one day.

I hope to discuss these points further on this thread in the near future.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I listened to the piece from the movie 1917 that you listed above, Micah. It is beautiful. I saw the movie and thought the music was really spectacular. To me, the euphonium, being a beautiful solo instrument, can play virtually any style or genre of music. The melody in that piece is lovely, and I can truly see it being played on euphonium. I like your idea of music with a mysterious atmosphere.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Of all the brass, I would think the euphonium best suited for something like this. Anthony Caillet's recording of Piazzola's Café 1930 gets in the neighborhood in spots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2uYqDX8QA

The bigger thing is what do you pair the euphonium with to create the right mood? As a composer, I'd be inclined to use euphonium a string and percussion ensemble for this sort of mood. Without winds and brass, there's going to be a somewhat airy nature to the sound even at volume. But a more conventional set of forces, either concert or brass band, would probably get the piece more play.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U

4. Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for your responses, I have to admit, I have been looking to get something similar composed but I have not really found any individual yet who I have been able to start this kind of project in although I do have around five new commisisons currently being written for me. I really think a piece like this would be a very special addition to the Euphonium Repertoire.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons