Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Euphonium Accidents

1. Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for your stories, I have to admit one comment which I have found myself saying to other people with new instruments is thatinstruments are meant to be used and these accidents will happen.

In other news, I am hoping to get the samll dent fixed soon.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

I bought one of the first made German Besson Prestige euphoniums that came to the uk. Within a matter of a few rehearsals there was a gentle altercation with my second euphonium players instrument (he always put his instrument on his lap the opposite way to me).

It was only a tiny, delicate dent but upset me greatly. However, I managed to get the dent out by rubbing gently but insistently on the surround area until it warmed up enough to persuade it back. It’s the only time I’ve been grateful for lightweight metal. It wasn’t perfect but good enough to not see without close scrutiny.

After that, I’ve adopted two attitudes - never to buy a new instrument again, and to ignore the MD’s instructions about sitting as tightly packed as possible. In fact thinking about it; every little ding and dent I’ve had on my euphoniums have been at band rehearsals at very close quarters.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magikarp View Post
    ...and to ignore the MD’s instructions about sitting as tightly packed as possible. In fact thinking about it; every little ding and dent I’ve had on my euphoniums have been at band rehearsals at very close quarters.
    Ditto to that advice about ignoring the packing together of musicians. I HATE that. Not only because my instrument is in peril, but I absolutely hate being crammed next to people in a rehearsal. I like space. If I know I am going to be in a place or on a stage with tight quarters, I will bring my Wessex or Imperial (in that order). I do like the Wessex, but it is the low man (horn) on the totem pole in terms of which horn I would mind least getting dinged up. Also, I like my very own stand, I HATE sharing a music stand with anyone else. Gees, I guess I sound a wee bit cranky, I'm really not, but some things just don't sit well with me, and being crammed together and sharing stands are two things at the top of the list.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

4. Hey everyone,

I absolutely love this story Magikarp! You are an absolute legend!

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

5. This is why I tend to buy used instruments. When I buy a new one, I'm so terrified I'm going to dent it that I don't really enjoy playing it or having it out. If I buy one with a couple of dents in it already, I'm not so OCD with it.

About 10 years ago I was playing a concert in a large arts center auditorium. The almost new Yamaha Neo euphonium was in an open case behind a curtain in a very dark area. I went to pick it up, tripped somehow, and took a knee onto the valves. The valve set was pushed back out of alignment to some horrible amount, all tubing connecting the valves was bent. It was unplayable and cost $2500 to fix. I sold it to cover the cost of repair and bought another euphonium.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    About 10 years ago I was playing a concert in a large arts center auditorium. The almost new Yamaha Neo euphonium was in an open case behind a curtain in a very dark area. I went to pick it up, tripped somehow, and took a knee onto the valves. The valve set was pushed back out of alignment to some horrible amount, all tubing connecting the valves was bent. It was unplayable and cost $2500 to fix. I sold it to cover the cost of repair and bought another euphonium.
    Ouch!! That had to hurt, both emotionally and financially. I play in a symphony where the back stage is always very dark after the concert when you go to put your horn up, also during the concert. I know exactly what you are talking about. I feel like I need to invest in one of those flashlights that you can strap to your head like the miner's lights.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Does this count? 1981, moving a 130 pound Yamaha speaker cabinet up the concrete stairs leading from the basement (of the house I had then) - I had the speaker cabinet on my hand truck, and I slipped.

The hand truck was steel. No damage. The Yamaha was built like a tank. No damage. I, on the other hand...
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

Cringeworthy story. I returned home following a rehearsal and was taking my horn in it’s soft case down the basement steps to my studio when I slipped due to the snow on my boots. I squeezed the case between my body and arm to keep from falling and later realized I squeezed the entire center section toward the middle of the horn. Thankfully the amazing Kevin Power redid the solders on the tubing and it was as good as new.

10. Hello everyone,

It is absolutely incredible how these things happen when we least expect them and no matter how careful we are.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast