Thread: New Euphonium Player Question

1. New Euphonium Player Question

Hi. I'm a relatively new Euphonium player. I've played trombone previously.

This is a silly question, but with the Euphonium, are you supposed to tongue every note that isn't marked as a slur? Do you tongue the notes that would naturally be broken up by valve changes? With trombone you have to tongue everything, but I wasn't sure if that's true with Euphonium since valve transitions break up the notes anyways.

thanks!
    Last edited by 1Cor13:4; 02-04-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Welcome to the forum! Please free to ask about any puzzles you have.

Basically, "yes." In most cases there are slurs where they want you to not tongue. However, if the notes within the slur also have staccato dots, that usually means to tongue softly. Beyond that the trombone rules should apply. A line over notes (legato mark) means to not separate except with a light tongue. An accent normally does not mean to shorten the note, just to add punch to the beginning. A marcato accent means a strong attack but a bit more separation. A staccato means to shorten the note - how much depends on the music's style.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

3. Thank you. Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. When you say "slur" and "legato" I thought those were one and the same. I couldn't find what the difference is in the musical notation.

So when you say:

"slurs" = no tongue
    "legato" = light tongue

I don't understand.

thanks again!
    Last edited by 1Cor13:4; 02-04-2021 at 04:37 PM.

4. Trombone: "legato" = light tongue, "slur" is a phrasing mark with light tongue.
    Valved instrument: "legato" = light tongue (soft?), "slur" means no tongue, use valve to articulate and blow through each note.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band