X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tokuno
    • Sep 2008

Wessex Euphonium Dolce EP-100

SOLD (although the Pro-Tec gig bag referenced below is still available)

This is a like-new Wessex Dolce Ep-100 lacquer euphonium that I would estimate has been played fewer than 10 hours. Probably a lot fewer, actually.

It's the current model: red-brass bell and lead-pipe, spit-valved 2nd, etc, and has all the (new/unused) accessories that it came with: Wessex mouthpiece, snap-on drip-catcher tray for the valve-set, spare valve spring & valve-guide, extra lyre screw, and, of all things, a spare spit-valve cork (that was a first for me). The case has attachment points for a shoulder strap, but I did not receive any. I didn't anticipate needing them, so I didn't pursue it, and figured they weren't a standard inclusion. If that's important to you, I'd recommend calling Andy at Wessex - their support reputation is very good.

I bought this as a step-up horn for my son when he was a high-school freshman, figuring that if he didn't want it, I would keep it as a "rest-of-my-playing-days" horn for the occasions that I needed a euphonium (I have mostly played tuba the last 20 years), but circumstances changed, and I play-tested it, put it on a shelf, and there it has sat for the past 2 years (I like the Yamaha sound, but it doesn't fit my needs/wishes).

It looks brand new - no dents, scrapes, dings. Valves are great - and it plays remarkably well. Easy blowing, even up the scale, and sounds lovely. Intonation is very good for me - as good as any & better than most other euphs I've played (I've owned Yamahas, Willsons, Bessons, Sterling, and play-tested Adams, et al.) - even the notorious 6th partial ENat & F.

$1,150 + actual shipping cost (buyers-choice for carrier & insurance) from California
    Pics here (note the Protec gig bag comment, below):
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...g0?usp=sharing

For another $50, I'll add a like-new Protec gig bag that I've never used but to store the horn. I've added pictures of my bag to the google drive link. Pretty sure it's this model bag:
    https://www.amazon.com/Protec-Bell-E...i%2C226&sr=8-5

The Wessex case looks similar to the Protec, but it's larger, stiffer, heavier, and provides better protection. It's of course not as portable/maneuverable as the Protec gig bag.
    Last edited by RickF; 05-24-2021, 07:35 AM. Reason: Sold
  • wasabi
    • May 2021

Hi, Is this still available? I've been on the market for a pre-owned Wessex for some time now, and I'm interested if so.

Comment

• 1Cor13:4
      • Feb 2021

LittleJimmy, I believe John Morgan was interested in a Maly.
      Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Comment

• John Morgan
        • Apr 2014

I was a little interested in a Double Bell, but probably not a Maly. I have three euphoniums already. (I know, I like instruments, but I don't have any use for a Maly even though it is pretty darn cool).
        John Morgan
        The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
        Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
        1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
        Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
        Year Round Except Summer:
        Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
        KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
        Summer Only:
        Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
        Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• 1Cor13:4
          • Feb 2021

Ack, sorry. It was Nbnarcisi that was interested, but it looks like you already were aware of that. Here's his post and you probably already saw his reply:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...i#.YJQ27MCSm70
          Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1 Corinthians 13:4

And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Comment

• tokuno
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by wasabi View Post
            Hi, Is this still available? I've been on the market for a pre-owned Wessex for some time now, and I'm interested if so.
            Yes, it's available. I had considered working back my euph chops and uploading a "no kidding, listen to how nimble this horn is" video, but that's unlikely to happen till I get over this work hump.

Comment

• John Morgan
              • Apr 2014

You should be a salesman, LittleJimmy!! I admit it is a cool horn, but I really just don't have any need for it. I would play it for a few days, show my bandmates one time, then put it in the closet, and it would sit there forever. My Boosey & Hawkes Imperial, a gorgeous horn, only comes out a few times a year. My Wessex only comes out when I don't want my Adams to get hurt (playing in crowded spaces, outdoors, etc.). My Adams is my 95% of the time at least horn. So, the Maly would just not get used. But good luck in getting it sold!!
              John Morgan
              The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
              Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
              1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
              Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
              Year Round Except Summer:
              Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
              KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
              Summer Only:
              Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
              Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• wasabi
                • May 2021

As commented above in the post, this is now sold!
                I'm the happy new owner, and the horn looks and plays like new (exactly as described). I don't do enough traveling/gigs to justify a gig bag, so I passed on the Protec. For what it's worth, it looked in great condition when I went to go pick up the wessex.
                Thanks again, Tokuno!

Comment

• DEF1
                  • Apr 2018

Congrats on the purchase. I bought a new Wessex Dokce last week and I’m very impressed with it. Enjoy yours.
                  JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

Comment

• Terihawki
                    • Jul 2021

Is the gig bag still available?

Comment

• tokuno
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Terihawki View Post
                      Is the gig bag still available?
                      Instant Msg sent

Comment