Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adams E1 Pitch Issues

I had similar problems with a Miraphone 5050 I owned a few years ago.
    Miraphone sent me a shorter MTS.
    I am told by reliable, trustworthy sources that the situation is mostly with certain
    instruments and secondarily with a certain style of playing. That is NOT to say
    the playing style is wrong; it's the interaction of player, instrument, and other
    factors such as mouthpiece cup size, throat, backbore, etc.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

2. Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I truly appreciate all of your insights into this issue.

While I am always willing to blame myself for most things, musically and otherwise, in this case, I really don't believe it's just a matter of "learning to play the horn," or that it takes more air, or is more freely blowing, or whatever else. I truly believe the length of the Adams pipe from leadpipe to bell rim is just a bit longer than most other brands. The comments offered seem to back up that assessment, and (especially) the fact that they have a shorter MTS that they offer to sell you. There just wouldn't be a need to do that otherwise, in my opinion.

That having been said, I truly hope that I am wrong! I hope that as I play this thing, I make the necessary adjustments, and the pitch comes up. I am not optimistic that will happen though. I waited until I had been playing on it every day for almost two months to even bring this up, because I thought it might be me.

I am not an "equipment guy." I am 45 years old, and although I get paid the play the trombone (or at least I used to, before Covid) regularly, I am a euphonium player by nature, and it's still the musical situation that I am most comfortable in. This Adams is only the third euphonium I've owned, after playing a YEP321 until college, and then my Besson New Standard from 1997 until two months ago. It IS quite possible that I'm just an old dog trying to learn the new tricks of playing a modern instrument, and that horns have changed so much since 1997 that I just need more time to get used to it. Again, that's not how it feels to me, but I could definitely be wrong about that!

Doug, I don't suppose you're looking to get rid of your shorter MTS, are you?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jacobs View Post
    Ed,

PM me. Maybe I can help.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jacobs View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I truly appreciate all of your insights into this issue.

While I am always willing to blame myself for most things, musically and otherwise, in this case, I really don't believe it's just a matter of "learning to play the horn," or that it takes more air, or is more freely blowing, or whatever else. I truly believe the length of the Adams pipe from leadpipe to bell rim is just a bit longer than most other brands. The comments offered seem to back up that assessment, and (especially) the fact that they have a shorter MTS that they offer to sell you. There just wouldn't be a need to do that otherwise, in my opinion.

That having been said, I truly hope that I am wrong! I hope that as I play this thing, I make the necessary adjustments, and the pitch comes up. I am not optimistic that will happen though. I waited until I had been playing on it every day for almost two months to even bring this up, because I thought it might be me.

I am not an "equipment guy." I am 45 years old, and although I get paid the play the trombone (or at least I used to, before Covid) regularly, I am a euphonium player by nature, and it's still the musical situation that I am most comfortable in. This Adams is only the third euphonium I've owned, after playing a YEP321 until college, and then my Besson New Standard from 1997 until two months ago. It IS quite possible that I'm just an old dog trying to learn the new tricks of playing a modern instrument, and that horns have changed so much since 1997 that I just need more time to get used to it. Again, that's not how it feels to me, but I could definitely be wrong about that!

Ed,

Not to beat this thing into the ground, but when I got my Adams almost 5 years ago, it PLAYED FLAT, period. That was what I determined after playing it for a little while. I absolutely loved the horn, and still do, but the flat thing really, really bothered me at first, just like you, I am thinking. Then I started waiting until I had the horn fully warmed up to check intonation. I am the guy in the band who gives the band a concert F after the clarinet gives the band a concert Bb. Early on, if I just picked up my horn from our half hour break during our regular 2 hour rehearsal, my F would be flat. So, I always warmed up before doing that and checked with my own tuner. Over time, I have found the horn to be just about spot on in intonation with my main slide out 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. The tuning up and down the horn is superlative, in fact. Even the high concert A is spot on (not flat like most horns), and the F and G are just a teeny bit sharp. I have a pretty good ear, so I think some of that is me putting the notes where they should be.

My point about learning the horn is not meant at all in the classical sense of learning the horn, but really learning how to adjust to this particular horn with any and all nuances. I use a fairly good sized mouthpiece, probably between a Wick 4AL and 3AL (closer to this). I think a smaller mouthpiece "might" possibly make the horn play a wee bit higher.

I do know now that after almost 5 years, the horn plays right where I want it to. I suppose you could have a horn that is really, really just not long enough, but it also might just be getting all settled in with it. That worked for me, but not immediately right at first.

John
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

5. I had the same problem. Adams sent me a shorter tuning slide, which fixed the problem with no modifications to the horn itself.

6. Hello again, everyone,

Thanks again for everyone's help. I have been a "lurker" on this forum for a while, but that was my first post, and I am very impressed with the level of care and consideration shown by the members of this forum. Well done, everyone!

Alas, I have closure! Adams customer service emailed me back, and said they will send me a shorter MTS, free of charge. It DID occur to me that, with the shorter MTS, the valve slides have magically become "longer," in relation to the overall length of the horn. I'm hoping that doesn't affect things too much!

Anyhow, thanks again, and I am going to officially put this issue to rest. When the new MTS arrives from Adams, I'll try it for a while and give everyone an update, in case you're curious.

I mean, again, the horn plays flat for most immediately and then they get used to it and it doesn't. My horn didn't magically shorten itself. For some they'd rather have the shorter main tuning slide, fine - whatever works. It probably is longer than other horns, I wonder how much the AGR plays into it.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12