Thread: Black Tarnish quickly forms on mouthpiece

Black Tarnish quickly forms on mouthpiece

Hello all, I have an interesting issue, after practicing I usually notice a strong black discoloration on the rim of my mouthpiece. I brush my teeth before playing religiously, and I'm using an SM4U. I also wash my mouthpiece before and after playing. I'm fairly sure it's not the brass underneath poking through, since I can just easily polish it back. It seems to form in the same spots every time, one large spot and 2 smaller spots.

Thanks!

Edit: I should add that it's silver plate

Not sure but sounds to me like something in your body chemistry may be causing that. Do you have any black tarnish show up where you hold the horn? A possible remedy would be to have your mpc rim gold plated. I always like using gold plated rims myself -- not for the tarnish factor so much as it feels smoother or more slippery on my chops.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

I agree with Rick, that it is just tarnish. I have used Hagerty silver polish with tarnish preventative to clean and protect mouthpieces. I ASSUME it is safe for mouthpieces because it is used/recommended for silverware that one eats with.

Leather may cause tarnish. Do you use a leather mouthpiece pouch, or does your instrument case have any exposed leather near the mouthpiece?

3M makes Tarni-Shield strips that could go in the case. The strips "attract" tarnish and keep it from the horn/mouthpiece.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Using Clearasil or some such complexion cream can cause that.

Any contact with a Sulfurous compound will tarnish Silver immediately.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Not sure but sounds to me like something in your body chemistry may be causing that. Do you have any black tarnish show up where you hold the horn? A possible remedy would be to have your mpc rim gold plated. I always like using gold plated rims myself -- not for the tarnish factor so much as it feels smoother or more slippery on my chops.
    Interesting, I actually do find small black dots on the bell in front of the lead pipe, maybe it is my body Chemistry. In a few months I may try the SMX or SMXR series mouthpieces and if I vastly prefer them I will probably get it in gold-plate. Ive always liked the idea of a gold-plate mouthpiece. (Maybe one day my dream of a gold plate satin sovereign will come true too ;D )

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I agree with Rick, that it is just tarnish. I have used Hagerty silver polish with tarnish preventative to clean and protect mouthpieces. I ASSUME it is safe for mouthpieces because it is used/recommended for silverware that one eats with.

Leather may cause tarnish. Do you use a leather mouthpiece pouch, or does your instrument case have any exposed leather near the mouthpiece?

3M makes Tarni-Shield strips that could go in the case. The strips "attract" tarnish and keep it from the horn/mouthpiece.
    I actually use the sunshine polishing cloths and I absolutely love them, I find them very convenient but they are a bit expensive up here in Canada. Maybe I should look into the preventative polish, I have the silversmiths spray since I had to polish a black imperial silver again, but I'm not sure if its preventative. I don't have anything made out of leather but those strips you mentioned sound really interesting, I think I may look into them! Another thing I should add is that my horn is just on its stand, I only really put it in the case for transport.

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    Using Clearasil or some such complexion cream can cause that.

Any contact with a Sulfurous compound will tarnish Silver immediately.

DG
    This is intriguing since I'm still very young, so I wash my face religiously and I do have some products, I'll read the labels to make sure they aren't sulphurous.
    Wessex Dolce Euphonium - SM4U
    Jupiter JSL 740 Bass Trombone

Practice often, Practice well!

Dom