Thread: Staying Ready for Band/Ensembles During Dry Spells

Staying Ready for Band/Ensembles During Dry Spells

I have put together some thoughts on staying in shape for band during COVID shutdowns and other periods when we don't have regular band rehearsals. For me, anyway, 2020 is just one of many dry spells I've experienced for ensemble playing. See what you think. Feedback is welcome!

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/entry.p...-Other-Reasons
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks for putting this together and posting.
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

If you can afford a subscription to SmartMusic, they also have a very extensive collection of band charts with individual instrument parts and the software follows along the backing track on the sheet music nicely. A fun way to practice sightreading, even reading other instrument parts for known tunes or playing through music you wish you could play. I think they have a a free trial period.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by JakeGuilbo View Post
    If you can afford a subscription to SmartMusic, they also have a very extensive collection of band charts with individual instrument parts and the software follows along the backing track on the sheet music nicely. A fun way to practice sightreading, even reading other instrument parts for known tunes or playing through music you wish you could play. I think they have a a free trial period.
    That's a very solid suggestion - thanks! I'm going to add it to the post. It's only $40/year, which seems very reasonable for the number of titles they have available.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

My pet project for 2021 is to spend time with all the euphonium parts for every public domain Sousa march.

The President's own is doing very nice public domain editions: https://www.marineband.marines.mil/A...-Philip-Sousa/

Plus, they've done YouTube recordings of each so there's a ready-made accompaniment.
    Adrian L. Quince
    Composer, Conductor, Euphoniumist
    www.adrianquince.com

Kanstul 976 - SM4U