Thread: Lyon and Healy Parts?

1. Lyon and Healy Parts?

Hi all, I am in search of a 3rd piston valve assembly including stem, and top cap for an 1890's B flat Baritone. The horn is a French MFG'd horn with the German Silver Pistons. Labeled "Beau Ideal" No.1409 3/4 by Lyon and Healy.
    I'd love someone to point me into the direction of a person who has collected parts and more parts.

Welcome to the forum! Normally I'm pretty confident that we can provide answers (lots of smart people on here!!), but this may be a tough one.

As far as I know, Lyon and Healy was an importer, not a manufacturer. I tried to track down an old tenor horn I have, made by Henri Gunkel in Paris and imported by Lyon & Healy. L&H lost a great many records in a fire in the early 20th century, so they had nothing for me.

Anyway, I suspect either "German Silver Piston" or "Beau Ideal" is the brand, but I'm not sure. I had another tenor horn labeled "Champion Silver Piston" a few decades ago, but I'm not sure if that was a manufacturer or simply the importer's designation.

Photos might help. We have some very sharp-eyed members.

Also, many piston valve instruments have identical, or nearly identical, 1st and 3rd pistons. Can you tell if this is the case by looking at the tubing going into the 1st and 3rd valves (it will probably be rotated on 3rd)? If so, a good tech might be able to build a new one patterned off the 1st piston.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

If you don't have much luck, here is a resource that might help:

http://www.thevillagetinker.com/
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Most of the L&H imports from this period I've seen were Bohemian imports manufactured by Bohland & Fuchs, but if yours says France on it it wouldn't surprise me. These come along fairly often on eBay really cheap, I'd watch for one that looks as close to yours as possible and buy. But keep in mind it's still no guaranty the pistons are going to be compatible. I suppose it's possible someone has a big junk pile of these instruments and has the parts you need, but it's going to be a needle in a haystack. A really good tech could fabricate a piston from scratch, but it's going to cost you probably 10x what the instrument is worth. My go-to guy for this type of restoration is JC Sherman near Cleveland. http://www.jcsherman.net/variations-in-brass
    --
    Barry

5. Thank you for the information Dave! Actually I have yet to buy the Horn. The gentleman is willing to give it to me for $70.00 & before I buy it i thought to see if there were parts out there.
    I love to have a project and an 1890's horn, that is in really nice shape considering, intrigues me. Would you purchase the instrument? The remaining valves operate and the slides and mouthpiece move. I play bass in a couple Detroit rock bands and also have a history playing brass (getting back into it). I have seen others on Ebay and finding a valve may be impossible as the world is a big place.

Gerry

6. Thanks Barry, i have yet to purchase the horn. It is going to cost me $70. It is in pretty good condition considering no real dents just the missing valve and top cap. Do you think it is worth the risk?
    I figured someone would maybe have piles of old parts. However you're right, there is a big haystack out there.

G

7. Lyon and Healy

3rd valve missing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20210120-103332_Facebook.jpg  

It looks nice. This era isn't particularly collectible and there aren't many playing opportunities where it'd fit in. It's probably in high pitch (A=452ish) and intonation and response probably leaves a lot to be desired compared to a modern instrument. They do have a certain charm though. Is it worth it to get it and hang on to it in hopes that another one of the same model will come along for a similar bargain price you can steal the 3rd valve from? It depends on how badly you want it!
    --
    Barry