Thread: Need help picking a mouthpiece

1. Need help picking a mouthpiece

Hey everyone,

I currently play with a Schilke 51D. I do like this mouthpiece a lot, but it is a bit deep for my taste. K&G mouthpieces have caught my eyes over the last few weeks. Could anyone tell me what size of K&G would be close to a Schilke 51?

Thank you in advance,

Euphism
    B&H 967 Sovereign Euphonium

You should get the 5D: if you want to try with a slightly wider rim diameter you could try the 4,5.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

3. Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    You should get the 5D: if you want to try with a slightly wider rim diameter you could try the 4,5.
    Thank you for the suggestion! I am not sure. I like the width of the cup. Its the depth of the cup that is my issue. Would the 5D be the same or similar to a Bach 5G? Also I heard that the sizes are usually smaller than they are on the size chart. Is this true? Because my ideal mouthpiece would be the width of the 51D and the same or a little less depth than a bach 5G.
    Last edited by Euphism; 01-14-2021 at 06:28 PM.

A Giddings Kadja is almost exactly this - similar rim size to 51D but 4G esque cup size. It's a very good mouthpiece. A Schilke 52E2 would be another option, or Yamaha 52 or 53H would be other slightly bigger than 51D mouthpieces.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Schilke makes a 51, which is a "normal" (aka smaller) cup than the 51D. According to their site, the 51D is .005 inches smaller than the other 51's which is weird because the 51 is suppose to correlate to the rim size.... They also make a 51C4 (a flatter rim than the 51), or a 51B with an even shallower cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphism View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion! I am not sure. I like the width of the cup. Its the depth of the cup that is my issue. Would the 5D be the same or similar to a Bach 5G? Also I heard that the sizes are usually smaller than they are on the size chart. Is this true? Because my ideal mouthpiece would be the width of the 51D and the same or a little less depth than a bach 5G.
    From the comparative table on the K&G website, the measurement corresponding to Schike 51D would be 5,5 but, from my experience, they do not correspond exactly as they feel smaller on the chops, probably due to the shape of the rim. I therefore recommend size 5. As for depht I have no idea how it compares to the Bach 5G, having never owned or tried one. The Schilke 51D was the mouthpiece I used predominantly for about twenty years when I was playing the Courtois euphonium mod. 165, but now I don't have it anyone. I can only tel you that the K&G 3D that I use now has a throat hole of 7,3mm ( Bach 5G 7mm, Schilke 51D 7,04mm) and, by inserting a drill bit from the backbore to the bottom of the cup, the depth from the top of the rim up at the beginning of the throat, measured with a caliber, is 32mm. Clearly it is an indicative measure, but if you do the same with the mouthpieces you have available , you can get an indicative idea. If you want to learn more about "mouthpieces", I invite you to read an article I published on Dave Werden page, articles category.
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/content...um-Mouthpieces
    I hope I was helpful to you, best wishes
    Franz
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphism View Post
    Have you considered Doug Elliott? You can select a rim that feels like the 51D (101 size, according to his website) and select the cup and shank that gives you the results you want.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Mack Brass MACK-EU1150S, BB1 mouthpiece
    Bach 36B trombone; Bach 6.5AL and Faxx 7C mouthpieces (pBone on loan to granddaughter)
    Steinway 1902 Model A, restored by AC Pianocraft in 1988; Kawai MP8, Yamaha KX-76
    See my avatar: Jazz (the black cockapoo; RIP) and Delilah (the cavapoo) keep me company while practicing

8. Quote Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post
    Have you considered Doug Elliott? You can select a rim that feels like the 51D (101 size, according to his website) and select the cup and shank that gives you the results you want.
    I would love to try a customizable mouthpiece but I simply do not have the budget for one. I can only really afford up to about $130. Also I am doing a lot of research this time on a mouthpiece because I have two very nice mouthpieces that I do not use because they do not fit me. I will still look had the Doug Elliott website though.