Thread: Trombonist buying tuba: where do I start?

1. Trombonist buying tuba: where do I start?

Alright, so I'm mainly a trombonist by trade, but my school's music program has me playing the tuba part on bass trombone. The thought of loaning me a tuba doesn't exactly appeal to them either, given the coronavirus.

I've always wanted to get a tuba, and I figure this is as good a time as any. I have a good excuse, and the price on used instruments is relatively low right now.

Where would you guys start, and what would you recommend? I've thought about a beat, school system Holton or something along that line. Does any model come to mind in the "extremely cheap but rather serviceable" category?

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Hello Hobart and welcome to the forum!!

I play euphonium and trombone (both tenor and bass), and I also play a little tuba. Since trombone is your main instrument, going with an Eb tuba may be the easiest transition, at least for the mouthpiece size. Wessex offers quite a few tubas that are relatively inexpensive. I have a Wessex Bombino Eb tuba (4 valve compensating) that I bought new for quite a bit less than $3K a couple or so years ago. I think they are now just under $3K for the lacquered version.

If you are a seasoned trombone player, then you probably can play tenor clef fluently. If so, you should be able to read tuba music and play it on the Eb without too much trouble. And if you read treble clef, even easier, because you can read tuba music (which is written in concert pitch and bass clef) by reading it as if it were treble clef with 3 additional sharps. If you read tenor clef, almost as easy.

Wessex builds some nice horns and for the money, you really get a lot. Plus they stand behind them and do a rather extensive quality control on each horn before it leaves the factory (in China).

If it is the school that wants you to cover the tuba part, have them loan you one so you can try it out before buying. Phooey on them if they won't. COVID or not, you can clean a mouthpiece (and a horn if you had to) so that you can play it. Unless you have to share the tuba, then I can understand their reluctance to loan it.

Good luck, and happy hunting.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

3. It's a sousa is the thing, my schools band program is not the best funded. I don't know the director too well, but I'm not sure if there's a bunch of liability stuff my school's doing because it's an engineering school.
    I could tell him I wouldn't mind waiving any form of liability, I might consider that.

I played bass trombone and went to tuba. My first tuba was a Conn 20J Bell front. Three valve Bb, built like a tank, and heavy . They make the Conn 21J with has four valves. You can find then relatively inexpensive. You can also find a Miraphone 186 BBb used that would work well and have a great resale value.

Here are a couple of Kings for sale:

https://www.tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1392

https://www.tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=989

Here is a Yamaha:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3073242661195/

I am not sure of your budge. Figure on about $250 for shipping.

You might also contact this website as he is a tuba player:

http://thevillagetinker.com/horns_for_sale.htm

Good luck!
    Cerveny BBb Kaiser Tuba

Quote Originally Posted by John Morgan View Post
    Hello Hobart and welcome to the forum!!

If you are a seasoned trombone player, then you probably can play tenor clef fluently. If so, you should be able to read tuba music and play it on the Eb without too much trouble. And if you read treble clef, even easier, because you can read tuba music (which is written in concert pitch and bass clef) by reading it as if it were treble clef with 3 additional sharps. If you read tenor clef, almost as easy.

Wessex builds some nice horns and for the money, you really get a lot. Plus they stand behind them and do a rather extensive quality control on each horn before it leaves the factory (in China).

I never thought about this, but I guess it’s like reading a Bari Sax part?

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by hwlentz View Post
    I never thought about this, but I guess it’s like reading a Bari Sax part?
    Yes indeed.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Or...buy an nice Eb comp for a fair price, press down the 4 valve and use all Bb fingerings!
    Seriously, my first go-round with the Bass Trombone/Tuba book on "The Lion King" was on a new Eb top-action comp . I did the Brass band G clef (thank you Bb trumpet players). I already knew Bb tuba fingerings and started using a Bb/Eb fingering combination for facility/timbre. Now, I am playing in the local band on Eb Schiller Comp 19" standing my ground while surrounded by 3 BAT's...and loving the fight!
    Last edited by flotrb; 01-30-2023 at 01:04 PM.
    flotrb

Доверяй, но проверяй
    (Trust, but verify)

8. Choices. For band it should be either a CC or BBb tuba. I don't think the Eb has the right sound. I have a friend with an Eb that plays in a band I'm in and the range and transposing is just an added difficulty. You are going to have to learn fingerings, but that should be your only obstacle. I started on trumpet, then to euphonium and then to tuba. I can pretty much play anything on tuba now after six months.

I have a Conn 10J because I wanted a lighter tuba with top valves. Front valves don't work for me due to the angle of my hand and wrist. I have another friend that plays a 6/4 tuba and is pretty tired of the weight, even though he likes the sound. He just started using a stand after doing the shoulder straps support. So think about what your goal is and try a few out.
    Richard

King 1130 Flugabone
    King 2280 Euphonium
    King 10J Tuba
    Conn 22B Trumpet