Thread: Opinions on Ceverny Euphoniums?

Opinions on Ceverny Euphoniums?

Id like to know how people feel about these euphs, particularly because they look stunning, and from what I can gather not too expensive either. I recently "discovered" them and I might go visit on my next trip to Poland (whenever that may be.) I have heard that at least in the past, they have not had the best reputation, flimsy metal and lousy valves, have they gotten better? Thoughts?
    Wessex Dolce Euphonium - SM4U
    Jupiter JSL 740 Bass Trombone

Practice often, Practice well!

Dom

Cerveny was Czech not Polish, and they have recently gone out of business, so they aren't making them anymore. Josef Lidl has apparently hired most of their workforce and are making most of their designs under the Lidl label, so they should be roughly equivalent, but historically Lidl's reputation has been even more mixed than Cerveny's was; so I think it remains to be seen if they will be high quality instruments or not.

I think their main problem wasn't quality of manufacture, but of design. They had some good models but a lot of their instruments were holdovers from the communist-era and perhaps not the best playing instruments out there.

I liked the euphonium a lot. There are other instruments in the same price range I liked more, but it wasn't bad.
    Last edited by bbocaner; 01-11-2021 at 11:29 AM. Reason: punctuation
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Cerveny was Czech not Polish, and they have recently gone out of business, so they aren't making them anymore. Josef Lidl has apparently hired most of their workforce and are making most of their designs under the Lidl label, so they should be roughly equivalent, but historically Lidl's reputation has been even more mixed than Cerveny's was; so I think it remains to be seen if they will be high quality instruments or not.

I think their main problem wasn't quality of manufacture, but of design. They had some good models but a lot of their instruments were holdovers from the communist-era and perhaps not the best playing instruments out there.

I liked the euphonium a lot. There are other instruments in the same price range I liked more, but it wasn't bad.
    Of course, I am from the south of Poland I was just planning on driving over to visit the factory, if I had permission of course. Good to know, I was hoping that they wouldn't have had been bought out, I might still visit if I was there, but it's good to know that they might not be a super option.

Dom

Gotcha. It's fun to visit brass instrument factories even if they aren't making instruments you'd want to buy yourself. Lidl is in Brno, I believe. I haven't heard that they've been making any of the piston-valve instruments.
    --
    Barry

Hopefully Červený can return in some form or another. The company has a HUGE history, and some of the earliest contrabass tubas and Kaisertubas were developed by them.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Well this is weird:

http://www.vfcerveny.cz/en/news/375-...till-producing

I'll bet the full story is interesting, because I'm confused. Might be new ownership or emerging from restructuring.
    --
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
    Well this is weird:
    I'll bet the full story is interesting, because I'm confused. Might be new ownership or emerging from restructuring.
    Yeah this is interesting, this is what I was referring to. I saw their website and I was a bit confused when another member told me they were out of business. We'll see I guess, maybe Covid will end sooner than later and I can go visit my family in Poland and drive down to their factory to try some Instruments out.

Dom