Thread: Sterling Virtuoso vs Yamaha 842S

1. Sterling Virtuoso vs Yamaha 842S

Hi it's me again.

Recently, I spotted locally a Sterling Virtuoso (all silver, heavy yellow bell) and a second hand 99% new Yamaha 842S.

The Sterling has a price tag of $5400 usd, while the Yamaha 842S is $4900. I do not live in the US.

The Sterling is new, but its finishing is not very polished. The sound is great though, with the well-known British sound, i found it very responsive too.
    The Yamaha 842S is second hand 99% new. I don't get to try the Yamaha, but from reading related posts here i know it's a very good horn, with premium finishing quality. But just some players find the lead pipe position awkard. I have a standing height of 6 feet.

I'm not a professional player, primarily playing trombone. I find it difficult to play euphonium with too much resistance. But i'm surprised to find the Sterling quite free-blowing.

Would you give me some advice? Thank you so much.
    Last edited by monsterdare; 01-06-2021 at 11:18 PM.

Certainly both models are good, pro horns, but they are quite different. In my memory the 842 is also a responsive horn, so I don't know if the Virtuoso has an advantage there. But not all of us use the word "responsive" in the same way. Suffice to say both horns blow easily, and I'm not sure if responsive would be a thumb on the scale for either.

I was excited when Yamaha came out with the 842, but when I finally had a chance to play one I learned it was not for me. I played a Sterling at the time and stayed with it. Biggest reason was the sound of the Sterling, which is in the British mode that I'm fond of. The Yamaha sound seemed a bit too sterile for MY taste.

I had also hoped the 842 might have improved intonation, particularly on the 6th partial, compared to the Sterling, but such was not the case. In most ways the Sterling was better.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I owned a Yamaha 842, it was two horns ago. My current Adams, the Miraphone M5050 (a great horn) before that, and the 842 before that. I moved to the Miraphone at the time because I was not satisfied with the Yamaha. I found the sound a wee bit bright, and as Dave says, the intonation was not very good (with no trigger). The high B natural was a lousy note on this horn as well (the Miraphone has in my opinion the very best high B natural of any horn, Adams included). The Yamaha certainly looked nice and the finish was indeed very good (very consistent among Yamaha horns by the way). It just wasn't the horn for me any more after having it and giving it a go for a period of time. I can't comment on the Sterling, only the Yamaha. But I trust Dave's opinion on the Sterling. How is the Sterling so relatively inexpensive ($5,400)?
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I played for 4 years on a Sterling Virtuoso (with Bauerfeind valves) and also had a brief stint on a Yamaha 842.
    These two euphoniums are indeed not similar at all, so choosing one of the two will certainly be a personal choice.
    The Yamaha, as already noted by Dave, has a very bright tone compared to the Sterling Virtuoso. This might suit you better in smaller ensembles, wind band and solo playing if that is your cup of tea. The Sterling on the other hand is made to sound as dark as possible. The Sterling is noticeably heavier than the Yamaha. In my experience, the Yamaha is generally easier to play than the Sterling. While intonation is certainly not perfect, I find it to be one of the few horns that can be managed without a trigger next to the Adams euphoniums. Responsiveness is great and I prefered the valves of the Yamaha since they are more compact. What really was a bummer for me was that the Yamaha did not have a waterkey on the first valve slide.If you were to choose purely on the build quality of these horns, Yamaha should come out on top.
    I had a lot of trouble with the valves on the Sterling, but since Sterling has changed their valve sets a couple of times I can't speak for all of their euphoniums.
    To your comments on the position of the leadpipe: I find the leadpipe angle on the Sterling more awkward than the Yamaha. The Yamaha features a more traditional wrap around the bell like, for example, the Besson Sovereign. The Sterling's leadpipe is straighter. Everyone is different so again, your mileage may vary.
    To sum it all up: The Yamaha is brighter, lighter, easier to play, equally in tune as the Sterling that is darker, heavier, requires a lot of practice/strenght. I would personally choose the Yamaha since they seem to hold their value longer and I do not mind the brighter tone.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    I played for 4 years on a Sterling Virtuoso (with Bauerfeind valves) and also had a brief stint on a Yamaha 842.
    These two euphoniums are indeed not similar at all, so choosing one of the two will certainly be a personal choice.
    The Yamaha, as already noted by Dave, has a very bright tone compared to the Sterling Virtuoso. This might suit you better in smaller ensembles, wind band and solo playing if that is your cup of tea. The Sterling on the other hand is made to sound as dark as possible. The Sterling is noticeably heavier than the Yamaha. In my experience, the Yamaha is generally easier to play than the Sterling. While intonation is certainly not perfect, I find it to be one of the few horns that can be managed without a trigger next to the Adams euphoniums. Responsiveness is great and I prefered the valves of the Yamaha since they are more compact. What really was a bummer for me was that the Yamaha did not have a waterkey on the first valve slide.If you were to choose purely on the build quality of these horns, Yamaha should come out on top.
    I had a lot of trouble with the valves on the Sterling, but since Sterling has changed their valve sets a couple of times I can't speak for all of their euphoniums.
    To your comments on the position of the leadpipe: I find the leadpipe angle on the Sterling more awkward than the Yamaha. The Yamaha features a more traditional wrap around the bell like, for example, the Besson Sovereign. The Sterling's leadpipe is straighter. Everyone is different so again, your mileage may vary.
    To sum it all up: The Yamaha is brighter, lighter, easier to play, equally in tune as the Sterling that is darker, heavier, requires a lot of practice/strenght. I would personally choose the Yamaha since they seem to hold their value longer and I do not mind the brighter tone.
    Hi Vito, you have mentioned about the valves on the Sterling, may I ask how do you deal with them at the end? as I have the same issue as well.