Thread: Lyndon Baglin - Rondo from Mozart Horn Concerto No 4

Lyndon Baglin - Rondo from Mozart Horn Concerto No 4

Euphonium players (me included) have often "borrowed" from Mozart, and even borrow from French horn works now and then. This lively Rondo works very nicely on euphonium IMHO, although it is a bit harder to accept a brass band accompaniment (particularly with the "older" brass band style here). But solid playing by Lyndon, as always.

https://youtu.be/fyuHTp9Rtsc

Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

If only I could channel Lyndon. My playing would be perfect!

DDG

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    If only I could channel Lyndon. My playing would be perfect!
    He was my first British euphonium hero. His recording of La Belle Americaine was so good it was almost depressing, because I could not sound as "sprightly" as he did!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    He was my first British euphonium hero. His recording of La Belle Americaine was so good it was almost depressing, because I could not sound as "sprightly" as he did!
    O/T

In lieu of a drunken mess of a stag night, my best man organised a lesson with Mr Baglin, in 2018.

I’ll summarise.

Play a bottom C at a comfortable mf.
    Put more air through.
    No, more air.
    More air please.
    Like this.
    !!!!!!!!

This went on for twenty minutes. His idea of mf is what I’d consider ff+! I then had some help on an Arban technical study which was really useful - he emphasised delicacy of articulation rather than force. The most remarkable thing listening to him talk is how modest he is, and as for his playing the uniformity of sound. Every note has the same quality, and I’m struggling to say that of any other euphonium player. The only other player I can think of who had that quality is the great John Fletcher.

The anecdotes were brilliant, as was his prickly, accurate, and unpublishable assessment of other famous players, of his era and more modern. His selection of biscuits was also exemplary.

My friend is the only player I’ve heard capable of making a “Baglin” sound, but he chickened out, and didn’t play, even though he’d brought with him the engraved Sovereign that he’d bought from Mr Baglin.
    Nowt

Retired