Thread: Eb tuba - general questions

Eb tuba - general questions

I am about a year into my comeback playing euphonium after many decades away from it.

I've mentioned this before: It may still be a little early, but I have been thinking about picking up the tuba as a second instrument, and if I do I am leaning toward an Eb compensating tuba because I figure that would be the easiest transition from euphonium to tuba.

Now for a question. Is there anything that I would likely encounter in the repertours of a community band or community orchestra that would be out of range for an Eb compensating tuba? Same question for a traditional jazz band or a German oompah band.

Also, there is the question of lung capacity and how that would figure into the decision. My lung capacity is something in the neighborhood of 3 liters.

Any other thoughts, such as whether adding another instrument would likely slow down my comeback on the euphonium? For context, I have been taking lessons from a professor of trombone and euphonium at a local university. The challenge piece I am currently working on is Andante et Allegro (Ropartz). I am far from mastering that piece, but I am making progress.

Thanks.

You are unlikely to find anything in community band or orchestra that can't be covered by an Eb compensating tuba. The same with Ooompah bands. Even with professional Orchestra players, they usually go for a CC or BBb more for the sound than for the range.
    Sterling / Perantucci 1065HGS Euphonium, 1952 B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, and a bunch of trombones.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    You are unlikely to find anything in community band or orchestra that can't be covered by an Eb compensating tuba. The same with Ooompah bands. Even with professional Orchestra players, they usually go for a CC or BBb more for the sound than for the range.

Thanks for the comment. It's very reassuring and useful.

I play a 3 valve Besson New Standard Eb. Love the instrument but don't enjoy playing some notes an octave higher than written. My lowest good note is A (this instrument has horrible false tones.) If you're looking at a 4 valve compensator you may be better off. There are many pieces in community band and orchestra that require the tuba to play lower than A.
    Steve Petrangelo
    Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (trombone/treasurer)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I think Eb compensating tuba would work fine for most wind ensemble, brass quintet, brass band, German band, jazz and other situations. I have a 4 valve compensating Eb tuba that I bought from Wessex a couple years or so ago. I like this tuba a lot. It is their Bombino, and it is currently priced at just under $3K for the lacquered version. Looks like delivery isn't until summer though.

As for lung capacity, mine is poor due to many years of smoking (which I did manage to quit over 8 years ago). But, I can still play this instrument fairly well. I like it a lot. If you read treble clef, there is a nice trick you can do in reading bass clef tuba music when playing an Eb tuba.

I believe Dave Werden has a Besson Eb tuba which he seems pretty fond of, however, that would come at a much higher price (new, that is).

A couple comments on Eb tuba in a community band and orchestra. The Eb tuba would probably work well with other tubas in a band or wind ensemble. If the group was large, one Eb tuba as the only tuba player might not be quite sufficient. Same holds true for orchestra, particularly since normal orchestra instrumentation calls for only one tuba. In community orchestras, they may not follow the usual instrumentation, but if there is only one and the orchestra is sufficiently large, then Eb might not have the gravitas to handle that ensemble well. Here, a BBb or CCb tuba would be the better (almost only) choice.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

If I were to get an Eb tuba to play as a secondary instrument (euphonium being primary) what would be a good mouthpiece to use?

For example, I see that there are some decent prices out there on discontinued Denis Wick DW5886 small shank mouthpieces, and Kelley says that the KELLY - X-SMALL small shank mouthpiece is good for euphonium players doubling on tuba.

On the other hand, would a Kelleyberg (similar to old helleberg) be better?

What about something else entirely different?

I realize that there is probably no answer that is "correct" for everyone, but different perspectives would be useful.

Thanks.
    Last edited by massmanute; 04-21-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I use a Wick 3XL tuba mouthpiece. Here are some specs:

Like the 3L but with a wider rim for additional comfort and endurance.
    Cup diameter: 31.5mm.
    Rim width: 8.9mm.
    Throat: 8.78mm.
    Backbore: Large barrel. Large shank.

I play euphonium as my main instrument and use the Demondrae Warburton mouthpiece for it. The 3XL is a nice size for me when I switch to my Eb tuba, which isn't too often. This mouthpiece was recommended to me by a forum member, and it was a good recommendation. I can acclimate to the Eb fairly quickly with this mouthpiece, although to get really comfortable with the tuba, I need to really dedicate some time to it.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

8. Quote Originally Posted by massmanute View Post
    If I were to get an Eb tuba to play as a secondary instrument (euphonium being primary) what would be a good mouthpiece to use?

For example, I see that there are some decent prices out there on discontinued Denis Wick DW5886 small shank mouthpieces, and Kelley says that the KELLY - X-SMALL small shank mouthpiece is good for euphonium players doubling on tuba.

On the other hand, would a Kelleyberg (similar to old helleberg) be better?

What about something else entirely different?

I realize that there is probably no answer that is "correct" for everyone, but different perspectives would be useful.

Thanks.
    I play a Besson Sovereign EEb. I use a JK Exclusive 4B mouthpiece. The JK range is great. Very precise intonation, much cleaner change of note between embouchure changes compared to a Dennis Wick. Highly recommended!.

9. Working freelance the Eb tuba is my main instrument for the last 30 years. For some years I had a CC as well, but sold it after not using it enough. After 25 years with a Besson 981 I switched to an Eastman 853 for ergonomics and a bit more steam in the very low register. Great allround horn for everything, symphonic orchestra, jazz, chamber music...!
    And for fun I use the French C, or the Saxhorn Basse, or the ophicleide (or the tenor guitar...)