Thread: Post your adams AGR setting

Post your adams AGR setting

I am curious on what everyone that is playing adams is using for their AGR setting.

I have my AGR on my E3 out about 6 turns.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

I tend toward either 2 or 3 turns out (usually 2), but I will probably experiment more this year as my chops are getting a little more stable. My more regular practice schedule since retirement is pulling some things together, but it is a loooooong haul to get some of my skills back again. 24 years with a non-music day job had an effect.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I am in the 2-3 turns out position as well. I just gave my Adams a thorough bath yesterday and made sure to move the barrel so it wouldn't get frozen in place. I think I put a little grease on the threads a while back as well. When I was messing with the receiver, I tried everywhere from all in to out 6 or so complete turns. I can't even remember now what effect the two extremes had, but it is subtle, not completely obvious.

Sort of another topic, but speaking of baths and such, a couple of my bottom valve caps were real hard to get off. I haven't given the Adams a complete cleaning in a while, probably 6 months to a year at least, can't really remember. So, after I did get them off, I put a little slide grease on the threads before putting the caps back on. Hopefully that will help getting them off in the future. I suppose I should make a point of unscrewing them every week or so. I do pull the slides on the compensating side every so often just to avoid having them freeze up.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    ... but it is a loooooong haul to get some of my skills back again. 24 years with a non-music day job had an effect.
    I would suggest that most players would love to have your "diminished" skills!!! But I do know what you mean. I think I probably played technically (at least valve movement) better (cleaner and faster) quite a few years ago. But, I find that I believe I play more musically in my later years. I do have plenty of time to practice, which I do every day, so I can't use work as a reason in my case for any diminished skills.

It would be interesting I think to know what folks think about their playing as they age. I am 73 and think I can still play fairly well. It does take me longer to learn a particular fast passage with fingering patterns that I am not used to (from other solos, pieces, etc.). But, my range is actually a bit better now than when in my prime (whatever that is, younger I guess). My tone has not changed much, but we older people probably have to be careful that we don't start sounding like nanny goats!

I think I will start a post on this subject. I sort of hijacked this post a little, sorry.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

5. 3 turns for me.
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

6. 2 turns for me.

I don't want to check - it's between 4 and 6 turns but based on the spot I found I don't want to go searching for it again!
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

Interesting - seems that I'm out way further than most of you; along comes decision anxiety!
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    Interesting - seems that I'm out way further than most of you; along comes decision anxiety!
    Ah, but that is the fun of the whole thing. Always trying new and different things or different approaches or in this case, different turns of your receiver. I may experiment with it again in the near future. I certainly have the time to do that now.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only: